Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Confirmation of results/help

1. Back To Top    #1

Confirmation of results/help

Hi all and thanks for the opportunity to post my questions!
    I started my shock process about two days ago using liquid bleach an have monitored pretty closely however I will admit it was not hourly.
    I can say confidentially that I have kept over 10ppm of cl2 for the duration as the hach test kit I'm using neutralizes 10ppm per each drop of thiosulfate and I am clearly over 10ppm but under 20 ppm, as a second drop of thiosulfate renders the sample clear in color, until me K2006 kit arrives.
    My levels are as follows
    Greater that 10ppm which conforms with the pool calculator qtys required, although I realize my shock levels are to be 16ppm with a level of 40cya
    CL = 10 ppm plus
    CYA = 40
    PH =7.2-7.4
    TA = 100
    CH = 625 (really high I know)
    Overall my problems that I just cannot seem to get all the algae,it is light in color and constant brushing makes the algae easy to see as the light green film brushing churns up.
    Filters were cleaned just before I began the shock process and some foe the bands are broken, overall the 4 filters clean up pretty good.
    Pool is a natural rock pool with multiple boulders under the waterline and I have never really been able to keep the pool consistent.
    Water is only one year old and pool is 6 years old.
    Thoughts/suggestions?
    1-more vigilant on cl2 levels, keeping them in the 16-20PPM range.
    2-CH levels a concern or having an impact on algae control measures?
    Thanks.
    27,000 gallons, Freeform, IG, with Spa, Filter, Pebble, 3 HP Whisperflo, 525 sq ft cartridge, Hayward Pro Vaccum,

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Confirmation of results/help

Welcome to TFP!

Well, you cannot really be certain as to what your FC levels are until you receive your test kit. With this in mind, you're just going to have to continue to be patient, brush a lot, keep running the pump, and keep shocking. Keep the process going until you loses no more than 1 ppm of FC overnight, your water clears, and your CC remains at 0.5 or less. The CH, a separate issue, can be dealt with once your water has finished shocking and is clear.

3. Back To Top    #3

Thanks, and ok. Guess I should've said the pool is clear and the algae is in large areas and is not at all very dark in color or noticeable. I'd like to think I'm at least keeping it somewhat in check?
    27,000 gallons, Freeform, IG, with Spa, Filter, Pebble, 3 HP Whisperflo, 525 sq ft cartridge, Hayward Pro Vaccum,

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by dave300
    Thanks, and ok. Guess I should've said the pool is clear and the algae is in large areas and is not at all very dark in color or noticeable. I'd like to think I'm at least keeping it somewhat in check?
    Probably. Don't forget to brush. Algae can grow like a scab to protect it from bleach, and brushing knocks it off.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

5. Back To Top    #5

Hello again, I now have my K-2006 kit. I keep the CL2 levels up above 10ppm as previously stated for about 8-10 days.
    Again this is a natural rock pool with some inlets and crevices that I guess provide some dead spots and there still is some light algae in these areas.
    Today's readings;
    Free chlorine = .2PPM
    Combined Chlorine = less than .2 (when I add the R-0003 the sample barely turns from clear to a faint pink, one drop of R-0871 clears the faint pink color)
    PH = 7.6
    TA = 110
    CH = 350
    Cyanuric = 40-50

Overall the pool is much better. Guess what I'm wondering is should I go back into full shock mode since I do have some slight mold in the crevices. These areas may not get good circulation? Can I or should I just elevate the CL2 current levels and keep on scrubbing?
    Thoughts, questions, recommendations? Thank you all. Happy Memorial Day and remember what Memorial Day represents.

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by dave300
    Hello again, I now have my K-2006 kit. I keep the CL2 levels up above 10ppm as previously stated for about 8-10 days.
    Again this is a natural rock pool with some inlets and crevices that I guess provide some dead spots and there still is some light algae in these areas.
    Today's readings;
    Free chlorine = .2PPM
    Combined Chlorine = less than .2 (when I add the R-0003 the sample barely turns from clear to a faint pink, one drop of R-0871 clears the faint pink color)
    PH = 7.6
    TA = 110
    CH = 350
    Cyanuric = 40-50

Overall the pool is much better. Guess what I'm wondering is should I go back into full shock mode since I do have some slight mold in the crevices. These areas may not get good circulation? Can I or should I just elevate the CL2 current levels and keep on scrubbing?
    Thoughts, questions, recommendations? Thank you all. Happy Memorial Day and remember what Memorial Day represents.
    Keep it at shock til it's clear. and never let FC drop that low again.

Back to Pool school with you! Reread the shock process and FC/CYA levels
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

7. Back To Top    #7

Ok. **** that whip hurts

8. Back To Top    #8

Just want to let you know that there is no need to use the 25 ml sample when testing for chlorine. .5ppm is enough resolution.
    John
    7 year old ~13,500 gal 24' AGP with 1.5 hp Proline pump, 150 sqft Pleatco cartridge, filled with well water with pH of about 4.5.
    Wanda the Whale pool vacuum, home made heater, Taylor K-2006
    Cloudy Pool? 1) Order test kit. 2) Follow SLAM
    New to TFPC? Read Pool School a few times, then post questions. PoolMath will help with chemical additions.

9. Back To Top    #9

In the Industry

I just skimmed this thread and don't see the mention of vacuuming which is an essential to remove the debris from your pool....perhaps I overlooked it?
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

10. Back To Top    #10

Thanks all.

John, not sure I understood, sorry would you mind please explaining?

Duraleigh, I have a pool vac, Hayward pro series. Not sure if that specifically is what you were asking?

Thanks all. Dave

11. Back To Top    #11

In the Industry

Duraleigh, I have a pool vac, Hayward pro series. Not sure if that specifically is what you were asking?
    Sort of, are you using it to get the visible debris off the floor was my real question.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

12. Back To Top    #12

Yes sir, I am. We've had some ridiculous winds over the last few weeks, so the vac is running.

Quote Originally Posted by duraleigh
    Sort of, are you using it to get the visible debris off the floor was my real question.

13. Back To Top    #13

You were using the 25 ml sample when testing for chlorine, correct? Instead of using that, you can use 10 ml of pool water and multiply the number of drops by .5 ppm. It will save reagent, and .5 ppm is accurate enough.
    John
    7 year old ~13,500 gal 24' AGP with 1.5 hp Proline pump, 150 sqft Pleatco cartridge, filled with well water with pH of about 4.5.
    Wanda the Whale pool vacuum, home made heater, Taylor K-2006
    Cloudy Pool? 1) Order test kit. 2) Follow SLAM
    New to TFPC? Read Pool School a few times, then post questions. PoolMath will help with chemical additions.

14. Back To Top    #14

Oh, yes I was. Thank you for the suggestion. Dave

Quote Originally Posted by JohnN
    You were using the 25 ml sample when testing for chlorine, correct? Instead of using that, you can use 10 ml of pool water and multiply the number of drops by .5 ppm. It will save reagent, and .5 ppm is accurate enough.