"Expert" needs help. LOL

Thanks that gives me some ideas to try :)

Jason, a helpful neighbor or a spiteful neighbor? lol they swear nothing was added, and there is no chlorinator nor SWG.

My only concern is when I first got the purple - I started to add some acid and I could see it turning that yellow brown color again so I stopped. I'm afraid if I lower the PH now it will happen again. So I'm just gonna wait until Friday to re-test the PH, I figure the FC should be pretty low by then. The whole thing is just strange.

She said tablets in a floater - didn't specify bromine but she'll be home on Friday so maybe I'll get more details then.

Fphoto-60830503E-6RM.jpg

http://fphoto.photoshelter.com/image/I0000WaVjLs69a6I
Chlorine water added to a 2.0M solution of potassium bromide yields a deep orange color characteristic of molecular bromine.
Compare the color and hue of this bromine water to the water in the pool. I think that it looks very similar. The owner says that they use tabs in a floater, but there is no cyanuric acid. Did you look for chemical containers? Are the owners new owners, or have they lived there for over a year?

The halogen level should be down substantially by tomorrow. However, you might want to have some sodium thiosulfate handy, just in case. If it is still elevated, that might indicate high levels of Dimethylhydantoin, which can complicate pool maintenance.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
:-( Their water is clear and they are content and don't want to pay to have me come back. Frankly I'm tempted to sneak in the yard and sneak a water sample for my own curiosity. (If I weren't so darn busy right now I would just tell them I will come test for free.)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.