My new-to-me pool (PICS)

Cubist

Apr 26, 2013
we are closing on the hose June 24th if all goes well. I went out to the house yesterday to do some measuring, check out the pool equipment, etc....

Here is what I found:

3GONHABl.jpg

ftc7daAl.jpg

When I was at the house three weeks ago there were a few patches of what appeared to be floating algae, but the water was clear. I could see the drains pretty clear in the deep end. Now it's starting to get pretty black & nasty.

KprNDMfl.jpg

7ZmtNXvl.jpg

The pool is 20'x30' (not including the steps)
The attached spa is 8'x4'

The pool and spa were renovated a couple of years ago by Blue Haven. What I read online left me feeling not so good about them, but supposedly everything works fine. The plumbing looks to be well done & all of the valves are labeled. Here is what I know of the equipment All Blue Haven branded Hayward stuff from what I could tell:

Hayward cartridge filter
2 HP SmartMax pump (Hayward TriStar?)
Pentair Model 230 inline chlorine feeder
Lots of valves... One labeled "cleaner".
A timer box on the wall
AquaComfort heat pump (AC-150 I think)
Silencer Jr. 2HP spa blower

EF1wvRF.jpg

The seller is supposed to open the pool and get it cleaned up prior to closing, so I shouldn't have too much of swamp this summer, but in the pump room there were several buckets of triChlor, so I may have to do some draining/ filling to get the CYA in check.

Question: Can anyone tell me what this may be:

DOYOxxOl.jpg

It's screwed down to the walkway off the back of the pool room. It's right smack in the middle of the walking path if you go out the sliding door. I've tripped on it more than once.

Looking forward to getting this pool back into shape & having some fun this summer!

I wouldn't put a whole lot of stock into what you read about the renovation company. My experience is that the happy customers aren't usually the ones taking the time to post about their experiences. They are usually off enjoying their pool.

You really just need to take possession, top it off, and start things up. Then, you can see whats what. Have you ordered your test kit yet?

If I were you, I'd ask the current owner to not attempt to clean up the pool water prior to the sale. Obviously, he doesn't know what he's doing and who knows what he'd throw in there to attempt to get the job done quickly.

Follow the advice of the experts here and you'll have it looking good, all by yourself, the right way.

Good Luck!

I bet that smells awesome...

I'm excited to watch this one develop. Get a test kit, and read pool school. Ask questions here and you will have that pool looking great in no time.

Looks like a sweet setup.

The trip hazard may be a backwash outlet? Really not sure. Pics from the side?

I found this online:

http://www.1800pools.com/SP0681_Hayward ... utlet.html

Seems to be what I have. No idea why it would be mounted outside???

I am planning to order a TF-100 kit. I'm a noob when it come to pools. I likely will over test (I did when I first started doing reef tanks). Should I order the XL option or just order refills of certain reagents? I'm waiting a bit to order to make sure nothing is going to fall through on the house. i would hate to order $100+ in pool water testing do-dads & end up not having a pool to test.

Welcome to the forum. :lol: The TF-100 with the XL option is just about perfect to clear that murky pool. You shouldn't need anything else in the way of reagents.

Best of luck with the purchase....that's a beautiful pool and we'd love to see some pics when it gets crystal clear.....it will :goodjob:

Get the SpeedStir add-on as well. It will make the frequent testing you are going to have to do much faster and more accurate.

I was going to guess the trip hazard was the deck box :goodjob:

The trip hazard is an electrical junction box, There is one at our house that splits off the pool light circuit to run a couple flood lights as well. If you get someone that knows what they are doing they can take a 4 inch angle grinder and cut out just enough to install a flush mount box and seal the edges with silicone. It was in a very similar place at our house and after the second time of dropping a plate full of grilled food I about took it out with a sledge hammer till the wife stopped me.

Siamese said:
If I were you, I'd ask the current owner to not attempt to clean up the pool water prior to the sale. Obviously, he doesn't know what he's doing and who knows what he'd throw in there to attempt to get the job done quickly.

Follow the advice of the experts here and you'll have it looking good, all by yourself, the right way.

Good Luck!

I second that :thumleft:

Siamese said:

The seller lives out of state now & isn't going to have much to do with the pool opening/ clean up. The seller is basically going to pay for the pool service company to come out & start the pumps up & give me a crash course on running everything. I assume it will be up to me to get everything cleaned up aside from the pool company dumping shock into it.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
The seller lives out of state now & isn't going to have much to do with the pool opening/ clean up. The seller is basically going to pay for the pool service company to come out & start the pumps up & give me a crash course on running everything. I assume it will be up to me to get everything cleaned up aside from the pool company dumping shock into it.

Maybe the sellers would credit back to you x amount of dollars towards the pool opening, which you can use to pay for that TF-100 test kit and lots and LOTS of bleach? :)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.