Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Black Spots on pool - is this Black Algae?

1. Back To Top    #1

Black Spots on pool - is this Black Algae?

Is this black algae, or could these small black dots be from a bad chemical addition? You can see the size of a jet in the picture for reference. They are really small black dots.

I'm new to the forum, I'll be doing a couple other posts about pool chemistry.

Here is a pic of the pool, overall, the pool seems in ok condition, my 'simple' test kit the basic properties or OK. Taylor 2006 kit should be in on Saturday, and will post results.

Houston Texas - 18 k gals pool, Hayward 2 HP main pump, 0.75 hp boost pump, 2 HP waterfall pump, Hayward H400 idl Heater, DE filter
    Polaris 280 pool bot - Taylor 2006 Test Kit - BB (no Borax yet)

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Black Spots on pool - is this Black Algae?

Hard to say. Do they feel slimy? Have you tried holding a chlorine tablet to the area involved to see if they fade with this treatment?

3. Back To Top    #3

Do not feel slimy. I did try the chlorine tablet yesterday, no change to the spots today.
    Houston Texas - 18 k gals pool, Hayward 2 HP main pump, 0.75 hp boost pump, 2 HP waterfall pump, Hayward H400 idl Heater, DE filter

4. Back To Top    #4

Can you scrape some off and rub/squish it on a white piece of thick paper. If it stains green (even dark green), then it's algae.

What type brush do you use for the pool?
    TFP Moderator TF100 Test Kit TF100 TestKit YouTube Channel PoolMath
    You're done SLAMing when:
    1)You lose 1ppm or less FC overnight, & 2)You have .5ppm CC's or less, & 3)your water is clear.

~ One should not use a sledge hammer to swat a mosquito. ~

If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

5. Back To Top    #5

I should have said, steel wire brush scrubbing. Is it ok to always use the wire brush for the pool? Don't see the purpose of the Nylon brush. It is a gunnite/plaster pool in Houston, TX

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by tjf120
    I should have said, steel wire brush scrubbing. Is it ok to always use the wire brush for the pool? Don't see the purpose of the Nylon brush. It is a gunnite/plaster pool in Houston, TX
    Yes, you are correct using the wire/S/S brush. Anything else would just make black algae mad - um, it does look like BA to me.

Can you scrape some off (maybe fingernail scrape off) then squish on the back of a business card/hard paper and see the color?
    TFP Moderator TF100 Test Kit TF100 TestKit YouTube Channel PoolMath
    You're done SLAMing when:
    1)You lose 1ppm or less FC overnight, & 2)You have .5ppm CC's or less, & 3)your water is clear.

~ One should not use a sledge hammer to swat a mosquito. ~

If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!