Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Replaced shaft seal, band clamp now leaking

1. Back To Top    #1

Replaced shaft seal, band clamp now leaking

I needed to replace the shaft seal on my infloor pump (water was leaking from the motor - yikes!). After I did, the pump worked fine, and after 2 hours, I noticed a tiny, but steady, leak from the band clamp.

I retightened the clamp (and yes, I do bang around the band while I do this). Worse leak.

I relubed the seal plate O-ring. Worse leak yet.

I even took the band clamp off and soaked it in some acid, just to get any gunk off (there was some deposit buildup from the shaft seal leak). Still leaking.

Do you think I should let the motor cool a while, and then try and retighten the clamp?

Do you think maybe I didn't tighten the impeller sufficiently?

The leak is definitely coming from the clamp, and not the motor.

I will add that it seems any time I take the pump apart, I end up buying myself rogue leaking that I didn't have before...
    12K play pool, sparkle quartz finish, Compupool salt system, PVC2000 infloor system, Emerson 3/4 filter motor, and AO Smith 1 HP infloor motor, PacFab Challenger Pumps

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Replaced shaft seal, band clamp now leaking

I fixed it. Just needed a new o-ring. It seems that any time I have had to open the pump, I end up having to replace the o-ring. It just does not like to be disturbed at all.

Anyway, just wanted to update, as sometimes our solution is the easiest one.

12K play pool, sparkle quartz finish, Compupool salt system, PVC2000 infloor system, Emerson 3/4 filter motor, and AO Smith 1 HP infloor motor, PacFab Challenger Pumps