I'm new here but I've been reading everything I can

moonie

May 17, 2013
Thomasville NC
I'm new here but I've been reading everything I can in the forum. The wife and I are putting in a 5,000 gallon 16'x48" Intex with the Intex SWG. We should be ready to start filling the pool sometime this weekend, should be completed leveling the area in the back yard tomorrow. The plan is to use borates from the beginning. I've got it figured to be right at 4 boxes of Borax and gallon plus 2 cups MA. Planning on adding chlorine bleach to get it to an initial 1-2 FC and 47oz of stabilizer with 126lbs of salt for about 3,000ppm. Any suggestions on the order or advice? I have taken care of friends pools in the distance past but not in over 10 years, I really like what I'm reading here.

Re: So you want to add borates to your pool--Why and How

Welcome to tfp, moonie :wave:

I would recommend waiting for borates until you have the pool running for a couple of weeks and have an understanding of your pools chemistry at that point in time.

moonie said:
4 boxes of Borax and gallon plus 2 cups MA
I get 294 ounces by weight of borax and 140 oz of 31.45% MA to raise your 5000 gallon pool to a 50 ppm borate level. You could also consider getting boric acid which is very close to ph neutral and very easy to do. It would cost about $38 shipped to get 15 lbs ( you need about 12).

Again, I would wait to do this for a couple of weeks while you get the pool in balance. It is particularly helpful to have TA fairly low before adding borates.

Ok, got the pool filled and SWG operating. Salt is at proper level, right at 3,000, chlorine is currently at 3. I've added enough stabilizer to get it to 70, will test this over the next couple of days as it dissolves (its in 2 socks hung in front of the return). PH was 7.2, I've added 5.2oz of washing soda to bring it to 7.6. TA is currently 40, will be adding baking soda to bring that up to the recommended level this afternoon after a trip to the store to get some.

moonie said:
Ok, got the pool filled and SWG operating. Salt is at proper level, right at 3,000, chlorine is currently at 3. I've added enough stabilizer to get it to 70, will test this over the next couple of days as it dissolves (its in 2 socks hung in front of the return). PH was 7.2, I've added 5.2oz of washing soda to bring it to 7.6. TA is currently 40, will be adding baking soda to bring that up to the recommended level this afternoon after a trip to the store to get some.
Sounds like a man with a plan!

And you understand!

Now...post some pictures. Especially one of the sock - that seems to be a hard thing for people to understand. Maybe it's too simple?

image1esh.jpg

image2tm.jpg

image3rh.jpg

image4es.jpg

Ok, gave it about 2 weeks to get used to the chemistry of the pool. PH has been hanging around 7.2. I added borates to the pool last night, 1/2 gallon of muriatic acid then 2 boxes of Borax, then the other half of the gallon and 2 more boxes of Borax.

This morning the PH is 6.8, so I added 2 lbs of washing soda to bring up the ph, will test again this afternoon.

The water looks beautiful.

I wanted to thank everyone that helped me last year with this project. I didn't post more because after your wonderful advise and site I had no issues with the pool at all. We had an amazing season swimming in the pool with very little needing to be done other than replacing some chemicals due to rain.

We are doing some upgrades this year, adding a sand filter (as noted in my signature update) and we are leveling out the base better than it was last year and adding a better liner under it than just the two tarps we had under it for last year.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.