Appreciate all the help

May 17, 2013
I just found the site and appreciate all the help. I will read more threads but just want a little help to simplify.

1. Buy a good test kit.
2. Buy bleach
3. Buy Borax or pool acid.
4. Constantly test you water and make minor adjustments using bleach, borax and possible baking soda.

Is this pretty close? Anyone every get foaming from the bleach? Many thanks to all. :goodjob:

Re: BBB for Beginners

The bleach and test kit are good to buy now, the rest wait until you know what you need. I've never had to use borax or baking soda yet. Buy plan bleach with no additives and you shouldn't have a foaming problem.

You won't get foaming from bleach without additives. You should only use bleach without additives or special added features. Some bleach with additives, for example "outdoors" bleach, contain detergent and will foam.

Many thanks. I appreciate the help. :goodjob: :-D

I am in S FL with about a 13 x 26 oval pool. I guess 15,000 gallons. It seems like if I dump 1.5 gallons of chlorine and have a chlorine tab in the skimmer and 1 in the floater every week to 10 days - I should be okay without a lot of rain.

Using BBB with a good test kit and testing frequently - will I need as much bleach or more? I always thought chlorine was just a more powerful version of bleach, I forget the chemical differences. Thanks.

The tabs could cause you a problem with CYA. I would not add anymore until you get your good test kit and can see where your CYA is at.

The only want to lower CYA is to drain and add water.

I only use the test kit and bleach! Oh and lots of smiles! LOL

FrankFL said:
Thanks Kim Kats. I have been doing more reading here. My impression is the chlorine tabs are kind of like junk food. They drive up CYA and cause problems.
Never heard that one before, but I like it!!

"Chlorine tabs are like Big Macs. They're fast and convenient, but every day multiple times a day is really, really not a good idea."

I am going to order the TFP TF-50 test kit so I can do this right. I went to Leslies and had them run my numbers. FAC, CH,CYA was ok. TA and PH were slightly low. Cooper and Iron were ok at zero. My Phosphates were high at 400 ppb. The kid there could not remember if it was baking soda or soda ash for getting Phosphates down.

They do not test for TDS or Total Dissolved Solids which I think may be my main problem. Last Week: I had algae from rain and the water was at the to edge of the pool. The overflow is clogged to try to keep a little extra in for the summer burn off of water. I put the vacuum hose at the bottom and was bleeding off water through my filter. It only bleeds off about 10 to 20% of the flow. I am borrowing a friends sump pump. This bleed off helped a lot. I only pumped out a little. The water is still cloudy.

The only cure supposedly for TDS is supposedly draining the pool. Any ideas on TDS?

My pool is on a deck that is somewhat elevated. I am on a canal. I think I may have slightly less hydrostatic pressure issues. I was thinking of draining it about half way with the sump pump at the bottom to hopefully pull most of the TDS.

I will search the site here to see if there is more info on TDS. Many thanks to everyone for helping me out. I really appreciate it. :-D

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Phosphates and TDS don't matter, so don't worry about them. Also, I would stop going to that pool store, since they said to use either baking soda or soda ash to get the phosphates down. Soda ash raises TA and pH, and baking soda raises TA. Unless there is more complex chemistry that I don't understand, they do nothing for phosphates.

JohnN said:
Phosphates and TDS don't matter, so don't worry about them. Also, I would stop going to that pool store, since they said to use either baking soda or soda ash to get the phosphates down. Soda ash raises TA and pH, and baking soda raises TA. Unless there is more complex chemistry that I don't understand, they do nothing for phosphates.

Thanks and thanks for the tips from everyone. I am going to order a TF-50 kit. I just wanted to get something going ASAP.

The young guy seemed to be a little clueless. They were busy with a big sale. $1,000 something. I have given Leslie's plenty of money, so I had paid for that free water test. In the past, I bought with a Hayward pump, brushes, hose, filters and chlorine tabs which I will be getting away from thanks to BBB/TFP. :-D :cheers:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.