Insulation underlayment for Intex

Apr 8, 2013
Battle Creek, MI
I'm still waiting for a permit, so I'm fine-tuning and estimating the finishing touches for an Intex 18'x48" AGP. I'm pretty much sold on the insulation-underlayment concept but scared by the prices. Yikes! If I go with the pink stuff I'm leaning toward 3/4" T&G with a 25 p.s.i. for $12.28/4'x8' sheet at Menards. They also have a 1/2" fiberboard "weather resistant" product for $8.99. Is that even worth consideration?

Extruded polystyrene is what you want (in your case the "pink stuff"). It can handle the conditions and has enough strength to minimize denting. I am not sure what the fiberboard you posted is...do you have a link?

linen said:
Extruded polystyrene is what you want (in your case the "pink stuff"). It can handle the conditions and has enough strength to minimize denting. I am not sure what the fiberboard you posted is...do you have a link?

I couldn't find a link on Menards' or anybody else's website. I'm pretty much resigned to paying for the EPS. Trying to figure out how I'm going to justify it with The Boss :hammer:

CeeElGee said:
linen said:

I couldn't find a link on Menards' or anybody else's website. I'm pretty much resigned to paying for the EPS. Trying to figure out how I'm going to justify it with The Boss :hammer:
I think it's justifiable. If you don't get the bottom surface of your AG pool right the first time, it's going to bother you. I know you are doing an Intex which is a different animal from my metal wall pool but I wish I'd used the foam. I used sand and a Gorilla pad but didn't really get the sand thick enough. Now the bottom surface of my pool is kind of rough and I'm stuck with it until it comes time to replace the liner. I really regret that I didn't do a better job on the bottom. It's the one mistake I made on what has otherwise been a fine DIY installation.
Regards,
Michael

I set up my rectangular Intex pool last year with 2" foam on top of 3-4 inches of sand. The foam was a very nice smooth surface, did not dent, and had a soft feel to the bottom. I am really happy with it and wouldn't do without it.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.