Just got TF-100....first set of results.

May 7, 2013
New Jersey
I did my first set of tests today, we have recently re-filled our pool and the only things I have added thus far are 1 gal of 8.5% bleach Tuesday morning and about 3lbs(48oz.) CYA, also Tuesday.

FC- 0
pH- >6.8? Wasn't quite the light orange color at the bottom, it was a little yellow
TA- 10
CH- 40
CYA- >20? I did this twice and could still see the black dot

According to the pool calc I should add...
123oz bleach (FC)
49oz borax (pH)
276oz baking soda (TA)
58oz cya

I'm not so sure about using the PC yet, could someone let me know if I'm headed in the right direction? Thanks so much!
Virginia

Start by raising your TA to around 70. That will also raise your PH, most likely it will raise PH enough that you don't have to adjust the PH (7.2 or higher is fine).

Your CYA is zero, which is normal for a pool that was just filled. You should raise CYA to around 40. You actually want CYA to be around 50, but it is easy to raise it further if you add too little, and difficult to lower if you add too much, so start by aiming a little low.

Because your CYA is zero, you should add just 2 ppm of chlorine this evening, then starting tomorrow evening (or the day after you add CYA if that isn't today) you adjust chlorine as we normally recommend.

Pool Calculator is great at figuring out quantities, but it isn't meant to tell you what you should be doing. Do some reading in Pool School to get an idea of what you target levels should be.

Gin0122 said:
One more thing, what about the 3lbs of CYA that I added Tuesday? I put it in a sock over the return and it was dissolved in about 24 hours. I'd there a reason why they wouldn't have registered on the test?

3 pounds in 21K gallons is still only around 20 so barely measurable.

Gin0122 said:
One more thing, what about the 3lbs of CYA that I added Tuesday? I put it in a sock over the return and it was dissolved in about 24 hours. I'd there a reason why they wouldn't have registered on the test?

As you will learn as you read "Pool School" articles here <points upwards to far right corner of your screen> CYA takes about a week to register on tests. So you can assume its in there even if it isn't yet showing up. You just need to know how much you added and what that amount translates to. Use the pool calculator to help you there

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.