Trouble with DE Filter

May 13, 2013
So, since I've been having algae problems a lot, I'm used to pulling my filter apart and cleaning it off. (See DE Filter model in my sig)

I have a question. I've replaced the o-ring kit a few times, but I usually get water coming up through the top of the filter out by the shaft down the middle. When I pull the filter up, rather then coating the filter fingers, all the DE powder is normally all up in a pile stuck to the top of the filter.

Why would this happen? I'm about to de-grease and acid wash the elements just for good measure, because before, I used to use the Leslie's Powder DE Cleaner, which I'm not sure did a good job or not.

Any help would be hugely appreciated.

Thanks,
Mark

Sorry, I didn't take any photos before I sprayed the unit off. It's currently soaking in some dishwasher detergent and I'm going to pick up some acid from the store. I thought it can't hurt, as the fingers weren't covered with DE, so they probably have some debris stuck in them.

It's been running for a day now... I took some advice from the forum and I pre-mixed my DE with water and SLOWLY dumped it in the skimmer. That seems to help a lot. Also, the gentleman who opened my pool 5 years ago, told me I needed 6 lbs of DE in the filter, but he told me to use the coffee can method, which I didn't know until a couple days ago that they only hold .5 lbs of DE!!!

This time, I put a bucket on a digital scale, tare'd it out, and added DE up to 6 lbs. I couldn't believe how much more DE I was using.

I'm getting leaking up the middle shaft again, which is typically an o-ring kit... Thoughts? I attached a picture, if you look close, you can see water coming up around the shaft.

Attachments

• filterleak.JPG
    filterleak.JPG
    107.5 KB · Views: 57
Isaac-1 said:
Yes that looks like a typical O-ring failure, but could be pitting on the shaft as this is a dynamic O-ring application, not a static-o ring.

Ok. So, replace the o-ring kit and if it doesn't stop the leak, then what? Replace the shaft assembly?

I would look to see if the shaft is pitted, and also if the collar it slides through (plastic?) is smooth and clean. If there is excessive pitting you could try to clean it up with a fine sand paper or file before buying a replacement shaft. If the problem is in the plastic that is a whole other issue. O-rings should be well lubricated with a silicone grease, never use a petroleum product on o-rings.

Well, since I'm fighting algae, I had to backwash... Instead of backwashing, I just decided to take the unit apart and see what the filter looked like.

Attached is the pictures you requested. For some reason, I thought they should come out with DE powder stuck to them, but they never seem to. A little bit here and there, but mostly clean. As picture, there were some clumps up near the tube sheet. Is this good or bad?

Attachments

• filter1.JPG
    filter1.JPG
    91.5 KB · Views: 32
  • filter2.JPG
    filter2.JPG
    179.1 KB · Views: 32
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.