how can I be sure, if sand in my pool

Jan 2, 2011
is there a sure way, to have a 100% ^positive answer, the "milky" water I have in my pool is sand returning in pool from my filter ?

I think if it sand indeed, if I stop the pump for a few hours, sand (if tha's the case) should go down on the bottom ???
any other way to check for sure ? the chemical of my water is "perfect" my pool store guy told me, after a test.

I just don't want to change sand in filter, if it's not reel problem !

thanks

The most common cause of milky water is dead algae, followed by calcium clouding. If you have algae recently and the water hasn't been clear yet then that is clearly the issue. If the water was clear, but turned milky when chemicals were added then calcium clouding is the most likely cause.

Thank you for your replies. ok, to answer the question, no my water never been clear so far this season. right after ice melted, last month, I had green botom, but water was clear, but when I started working on it,of course within a few second of vacuuming the pool, it went all green, then I made a shock treatement, and 24 hours after the shocking, water turned from green to "milky white"... I made 4-5 back wash since, got my water checked at pool dealer, and that,s it so far...
Pool dealer told me he said I should change sand in filter, but I am not convince of that at all !!

thanks again.

I would bet it is algae, and you need to follow the shock PROCESS, link in my signature. You will need a good test kit, also in my signature. Since you live in Canada, I am not sure of the best place to get it. There are other Canadians on here, and I am sure they will be able to help you with that. For now, do you have actual levels from the pool store? "Perfect" is a vague term, and their "perfect" is probably very different from out "perfect."(I have a cartridge filter, so take the following advice with a grain of sand, if you will.) Also, filter sand does not wear out, and should never have to be changed. It can become channeled, which will reduce filtering. It is also possible to have a broken lateral, which will cause sand to blow back into the pool.

I like the socks method, in fact, I should have thought of it myself... I will sure try it, and let you know. Now, to answer John's questions... no, I don't have the actual levels of the water test unfortunately. I will try to buy a reliable test kit for sure. I must mention that my walls are not slippery or viscous, like algae would do. I can say tough, that when I vacuum pool, I see "debrits" of algae, moving in water, that may explain your theory of dead algae ???
So, if I trap no sands in sock, then I am gonna follow again, the shocking process, and be patient, but I sure don't want to empty sand from filter, if problem is elswhere...
I will keep you posted.

thanks again for your help

Even if you catch a bit of sand, that is NOT the cause of your cloudy water. reread smykowski's post. Sand is just too heavy and it contributes virtually nil to any pool cloudiness.

Bad testing and bad advice seem to be the trademark of many pool stores and your's seems no exception.

ok, I made the sock test, and no sand at all... I have some info to mention, first, I noticed white debrits on my brush when rubbing the bottom, and by looking carefuly at my return, I think I may have "air" in my suction side line. I see a "white fume" shot every 5-10 seconds, coming out of the return. now, let's say I wouldn't have the dead algae issue, does that "air" in line could explain my milky water ? I will go right away vacuum thouroughly the pool, perhaps I will eliminate most of those white stuff ??? any other tips you suggest ?

I am getting sick and tired....

thanks

I see a "white fume" shot every 5-10 seconds, coming out of the return. now, let's say I wouldn't have the dead algae issue, does that "air" in line could explain my milky water ?
Shut the pump off and the pool should clear very quickly if it's air bubbles causing it.....very doubtful, though.

When air "surges" intermittently like you describe that is often because you are sucking air through the skimmers....either from the skimmers being clogged with debris or the water level being too low.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
That's what I did, for the last few days... pump run 10 hours, and off 14 hours. no change in my water. I raised the water level, and checked skimmer cover o-ring and quick connections,re-tighten all hose collets, and I feel like it's ok, but if it suck air somewhere, it would be underground... I don't want to think of it, as a case !!!!

I heard about a product call, "pool flocs" that could chemicaly bond all those tinny parts together, and go down to the bottom, you vacuum the pool with filter set at waste position... problem is, with a 12' pool it will take 5 minutes and half my water will be gone...

any other tips to get rid of those dead algae ??

thanks again

I just tried the "floks" treatment, and seewhat happen... instructions says after pourring the flocks, run filter at recycling for 6 hours, then filtering for 24 hours, and then vacuum the pool at waste position (which will cause my water level to drop several inches...)
So my problem is, I've been told by pool dealer, " microscopic particles in water" (other words, dead algae in water)

I will keep you posted for sure.

Sooner or later, you should stay out of the pool store who has yet to help you as nearly as I can tell.

It is almost impossible to blend advice from a pool store and this forum so you should pick one or the other.

That's exactly what was going through my mind, after my last post. not easy when your "dummy" as I am, in pool manntenance field. I try to analyze all the tips I get, and I must confess,sometimes it's very confusing.
btw. after I purchased the flox bottle, and listening to her advise ( yes it was a woman !!!) I started being suspicious about her knowledge... anyway, we'll see in a few days, and I'll keep you posted.

thanks all

an update with my milky or cloudy water... still the same. I shock the pool 24 hours ago.
I tested water, and looks like FC is close to zero, TC is 10 (way too high) and CYA also close to zero... the TA & TH are normal.Now after reading scool pool, well the more I read the more I get confuse...

Should I add stabilizer (CYA),which will raise the TC,or should I add more chlorine ???
after all that mess, anyone still believe I may have an issue with my sand ??

thank you !

If your FC is zero, you're not shocking properly. You need to raise the FC to the appropriate level given your CYA and keep it there.

I just reviewed your other posts, and it looks like you never posted a full set of test results. The best way to take control of your pool is to buy a good test kit (see the link in Pool School), post the results here, and follow our advice exactly. Done correctly, it will take several days to several weeks to clear the pool, but it will happen.

I don't have good test kit, because I am living in Canada, and other than getting screw up my dealers here in Canada, I will have a friend from USA bringing me a kit, but it may takes a few weeks. I have shock again the pool 2 hours ago witk 800 grammes of 65% granule chlorine.
here's the test I just took (with strips)

FC: 0.5 (too low)
TC: 15 (too high)
TA: 80 (normal)
PH: 7.2 (Normal)
TH: 300 (normal)
CYA: 0 (very low)

Good news in lasr reply, is not unusual it take several days before to clear. No sand issue.

thank you

Just an update on my cloudy water problem... by using shocking process, and adding clarifier 2-3 times, my water had finally cleared. it took me 3 weeks, but lesson's learn... don't believe all the pool dealer say !

thank you all for your help.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.