Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Pump Type for buried AGP

1. Back To Top    #1

Pump Type for buried AGP

Greetings all,

I'm having my AGP installed in about a week. It is a 27 foot round, with a 52" wall. My pool will have a Hayward sand pump (not sure the model number yet.)

I am going to sink the pool 24 to 30 inches in the ground.

My question is: Can I still use an above ground pump, or do I need to switch to an in ground pump because the water won't be falling into the top of the pump / filter?

I plan on putting the pump/filter within a few feet of the pool.

16x32 IG vinyl liner, Hayward Sand Filter.

2. Back To Top    #2
    Tucson, AZ

Re: Pump Type for buried AGP

Welcome to TFP!
    As long as the pump is still below the water level, an above-ground pump will work fine. If it is above (and has to suck water up to prime) you will need an inground pump.
    11,200 gal, Pebble-Tec; Tristar 2-speed 1hp - Swimclear 325 ft2 cart - SWG - A & A in-floor cleaner - Heat pump. For the poolside cooking, a Yoder Wichita and a Big Steel Keg!
    TF Test Kits -- PoolMath -- Pool School
    Make each day your masterpiece. - John Wooden

3. Back To Top    #3
    Pleasanton, CA

There are a few above ground pumps that are self-priming such as the Pentair Dynamo and the Hayward PowerFlo II. So if the pump is above water level, then you could use one of those.
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump and Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, 1/2 HP 2sp pump, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater, ThePoolCleaner

4. Back To Top    #4
    SW MO

I'm still working on getting mine backfilled but where I set the pump the pump is below the water line with no problems. The sand filter multi port is above the water line.
    Dan D
    Used 2003 Aqua Leader 27'x52", 17,800 w/10" hopper, SwimPro SW256T 250# sand filter, Hayward PowerFlo LX pump 1hp impellor, Emerson 1 1/2 hp motor, setup Aug 2012 Summer 2011 used Summer Escapes Ring pool 14' x 42", Intex 1600gph sand filter, HTH 6 way test kitTF-100 w/stirrer, Well water @ FC=0, PH=7.2, TA=290, CH=320