Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: picking up lubricant/sealant from home depot/lowes

1. Back To Top    #1

picking up lubricant/sealant from home depot/lowes

Hi, I was wondering whether these products could replace the pricier ones from the pool store.

silicone lubricant for greasing o-rings
    DuPont 4 oz Silicone Lubricant
    http://www.lowes.com/pd_363779-39963-DS ... facetInfo=

teflon tape for helping the seal on a drain plug
    Blue Monster 1/2-in x 119-ft Plumber's Tape
    http://www.lowes.com/pd_235767-33468-70 ... facetInfo=
    25,000 gallon gunite pool with waterfall (built 2000 - owner as of 2009), Aerotemp / Aquacal heat pump AT12000-A, Hayward DE4800 Filter, AOS UST1202 Motor, Hydro-King T104P201 Timer, Meyco pool cover, Pentair Model 320 Auto Chlorine Feeder. Located in Massachusetts.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: picking up lubricant/sealant from home depot/lowes

On the teflon tape, absolutely OK. For the silicone lube, it appears that might be a liquid style? I am more in favor of the gel style, which they should carry in the plumbing aisle - usually called Faucet lube or some such - it's a silicone lube that's a bit thicker than, say, petroleum jelly (which you should NOT use - it's bad for orings and plastics, and can get a bit rancid over time).

Just my 2 cents -
    24 foot AG Vinyl, 10 year old wall, 1 year old liner
    Hayward 240T Sand (free!)
    Hayward 1.5 hp pump (free)
    BBB just ROCKS!

3. Back To Top    #3

I got this:

http://www.amazon.com/PACK-Aladdin-T...cks+magic+lube

I use it for other stuff. So one tube in the garage and one by the pool works great. $12 and I'm good for years with 2x5oz. The pool store prices are absolutely insane on crappy little 1 oz. tubes. Ridiculous.
    Current: 28,000G 18'x36' I/G AnthonySylvan Plaster; Waterway 60 sq.ft. DE Filter; 1.0hp x 1.65 SF Two-Speed (B2982) WhisperFlo; 2004-Present
    Previous: 40,000G 20'x40' I/G Koven unlined WWII salvage 5/8" marine steel; Lomart Stainless Sand Filter; 3/4hp Hayward SuperPump; 1946-2003 (managed by me from about 1964)
    Ancient Taylor K-2000, upgraded with Taylor CH, TA, and FAS-DPD, and TFT CYA tests.

4. Back To Top    #4

thanks i ended up getting the cheap teflon tape and the small little .5oz jar of silicone lub from home depot.. i purchased a similar lube from ace two years ago and found it really tacky, but the one from home depot seems to be a lot smoother and easier to work with.

thanks for the feedback!!!
    25,000 gallon gunite pool with waterfall (built 2000 - owner as of 2009), Aerotemp / Aquacal heat pump AT12000-A, Hayward DE4800 Filter, AOS UST1202 Motor, Hydro-King T104P201 Timer, Meyco pool cover, Pentair Model 320 Auto Chlorine Feeder. Located in Massachusetts.

5. Back To Top    #5

Good that your HD store has the silicone lube. My only source for it is pool stores. All I can find outside of the pool stores is the aerosol spray and that doesn't cut it.

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by 257WbyMag
    Good that your HD store has the silicone lube. My only source for it is pool stores. All I can find outside of the pool stores is the aerosol spray and that doesn't cut it.
    fyi - it was totally in an obscure place .. hanging on a hook in the plumbing section alongside connectors and other small pipe attachments. no other lubricants there.. in a different aisle from the teflon tape too.