Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: 2 speed pump

1. Back To Top    #1

2 speed pump

I think this year I am going to experiment with running my pump on low 24 hours instead of half the day high and half on low.

People with multi speed pumps have you had good success only running the pump on low? When people are in the pool I would override and run it on high.

I assume chemicals should be added when pump is on high speed?

Thanks
    18600 Gallon In Ground
    Vinyl liner
    Aqua Genie Skimmer/Return
    Purex Triton Challenger wet end with Emerson 2EZ Speed Two-Speed with Timer Motor 3/4HP #EB2980T
    Sta-Rite 145361 Cristal-Flo II High-Rate Sand Filter 22Inch
    Taylor K-2006

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: 2 speed pump

I am not an expert and am just getting into the whole pool thing.

But my understanding is apart from water features, high speed is used for backwashing, vacuuming and possibly for skimmer function. But the speed needed for adequate skimmer function is hard to predict. So you can try at low speeds and see if it keeps your pool clean.

Regarding adding chemicals: I do not see any reason why you need anything more than low speed to circulate your water.

Hope this helps but wait for the big boys to chime in!
    Inground Concrete/Plaster Diving Pool, 17X30 ft, 20k gallons, 1 skimmer, 1 main drain, 5 returns,
    1 HP (SF 1.25) STARITE SINGLE SPEED, 2-Speed, 1 HP Pentair Superflo (not yet installed!) Hayward Sandfilter 3.14 ft.ft

3. Back To Top    #3

Maybe I will have it run on high for a few hours a day. I'll have to see how it goes.
    18600 Gallon In Ground
    Vinyl liner
    Aqua Genie Skimmer/Return
    Purex Triton Challenger wet end with Emerson 2EZ Speed Two-Speed with Timer Motor 3/4HP #EB2980T
    Sta-Rite 145361 Cristal-Flo II High-Rate Sand Filter 22Inch
    Taylor K-2006

4. Back To Top    #4

nealyak is correct. There is not normally any reason to use high speed for normal circulation. The only at all common exception is a pressure or suction side pool cleaner that does not have a booster pump. You generally only need 6 to 8 hours on low a day, maybe a little more or less depending on your specific setup.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School