Quad DE vs. Grid style DE filter

May 13, 2013
I am thinking about getting new DE filter. Are there any advantages of grid style vs. Pentair Quad cartridge DE filter? Also is backwashing going to shorten lifespan of grids/cartridges? Thanks, Kris

The Pentair Quad DE filters are very highly reviewed. In general you tend to want to open them up and clean them out, which is comparatively easy, instead of backwashing, which tends to be less effective than with other DE filters.

Backwashing should not have any significant impact on filter lifetime.

Yes and no. Backwashing works well enough for a while. But after a certain number of backwash cycles you need to open the filter and clean it more throughly. How many cycles you can go before breaking the filter down and throughly cleaning it out varies a little by brand/model but generally is enough for a pool seasons worth of backwashing (unless your filter is small and you backwash frequently).

I have a Sta-Rite DE filter that is a cartridge style similar to the Pentair. I really like it. I don't backwash. I clean it like a normal cartridge filter. It cleans much easier than a cartridge, though, since it has much less surface area. I can clean my filter in less than 5 minutes and don't lose any water from the pool doing so.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.