Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Need help choosing a cleaner

1. Back To Top    #1

Need help choosing a cleaner

We ordered our pool from Royal last week. Originally I was planning to get the Polaris 280, but now I'm seeing all this talk about Robotic cleaners. I honestly don't know the difference (I've never owned a pool). If I'm paying $750 for the Polaris 280, and if there is something out there that is better for a similar price I'd like to be pointed in that direction. We are building a Grecian L, vinyl pool.

Pool Supply World sent me an email with the AquaBot Hydro EXL on sale for $329, but I don't know if that a better product than what I'm currently looking at. I'd appreciate any help.

2. Back To Top    #2

Automatic Pool Cleaners

$750 for the 280 is too much. Do you mean the booster pump plus the cleaning unit?
    37x20, 28,300 gallon gunite, irregularly shaped, hayward 1.5 super pump, hayward 4820 DE filter, northeast geo

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: Automatic Pool Cleaners

Quote Originally Posted by vinouspleasure
    $750 for the 280 is too much. Do you mean the booster pump plus the cleaning unit?
    Yes, that is with the booster pump too.

4. Back To Top    #4

Re: Need help choosing a cleaner

OK, I just read Pool School about cleaners. Now I understand the difference between the types of cleaners. Any thoughts on a Polaris 280 with pump vs. a cheaper robot?

5. Back To Top    #5

Re: Need help choosing a cleaner

we have a 280 with a booster pump. The booster pump was solid for about 15 years ago but needs to be replaced now. the 280 has been a very good cleaner for both leaves, dirt and silt. However, it needs a lot of maintenance and for us they seem to last about five years. So for your $750 and a $440 spend every five years (and the cost of electricity) you'll end up with a very good solution.

My sense is that a lot of the robotic pool cleaners die after 3-4 years...and may need warranty maintenance before that. It's really hard to figure out because all the evidence is anecdotal.

you and i are sort of in the same situation now except it will cost me $1150 to replace pump and solaris. It's a function of living in an expensive place. So for me, a $750 robot that lasts 3-4 years is cost effective. For you, given the price of pump+booster in your market, I'd go for that solution.
    37x20, 28,300 gallon gunite, irregularly shaped, hayward 1.5 super pump, hayward 4820 DE filter, northeast geo