New heater recommendation and automation question

Aug 8, 2012
I'd like to heat my pool and am leaning towards getting a gas heater. Solar is also an option in my area but the upfront cost for the system I want (tied into domestic hot water) is not in the budget this year. Our water seems to average low-mid 70s F with just a solar cover but I'd like it to be mid-high 80s for comfort. The pool will stay covered when not in use. What is the recommended size heater (BTU)? I'm guessing around 200k. Also, any brand recommendations? I'm thinking about a Raypak vs. Pentair.

Since I'm somewhat new to pools, an overview for how the controls work would be much appreciated. I assume most people do not have a separate pump just for the heater. Do most just turn it on/off manually with the pool pump? How easy is it to automate it with the pool pump? I have an older pump but will most likely upgrade when I install the heater.

Also, in the manuals for various gas heaters I see that recommended chlorine should not exceed 5 ppm (or else warrant is void). Am I reading this correctly? My pool chemistry is usually in the range of chlorine 10-15ppm (CYA 85-90).

Thanks in advance!

----------------------
11,000 gal IG gunite
Magnetek 1 hp
Mytilus MY-100 cartridge

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.