Dumb question, pump strainer basket drain

May 14, 2013
Do all pumps have a drain plug under the strainer basket? I can't find mine. I have a suction side air leak leading to bubbles in my return. Also pump lost prime after a few hours turned off. Might be my basket lid, but I was trying to find the drain plug and didn't seem to be one on the bottom.

Great. Found my drain in the front of the strainer basket. Ok it is sealed tight, now I need to figure out why I have so much air coming out of my returns. It started after i cleaned my strainer basket so my guess is it must be the top.

bolleat said:
Great. Found my drain in the front of the strainer basket. Ok it is sealed tight, now I need to figure out why I have so much air coming out of my returns. It started after i cleaned my strainer basket so my guess is it must be the top.
That is by far the most likely, especially since you just messed with it. Be sure it's lubed up good, the O-ring isn't cracked, and there's no grit or bits of grass in the way.

[center:bi8bnhar][youtube:bi8bnhar]vtSmfws0_To[/youtube:bi8bnhar]
Round up the usual suspects: low water level, stuck weir in the skimmer, loose drain plugs on the
pump, poor seal on the pump strainer basket, and leaks at the fittings, especially any couplings.[/center:bi8bnhar]

The o-ring on the pump basket should be well lubed and able to make a good seal. Clean the pump lid and make sure there is zero debris in there or on the pump lid. Any little bit is enough to make it not get a good seal and let air in.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.