Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Dumb question, pump strainer basket drain

1. Back To Top    #1

Dumb question, pump strainer basket drain

Do all pumps have a drain plug under the strainer basket? I can't find mine. I have a suction side air leak leading to bubbles in my return. Also pump lost prime after a few hours turned off. Might be my basket lid, but I was trying to find the drain plug and didn't seem to be one on the bottom.
    32000 Gallon 18'X40' Rectangular Gunite pool. Pentair 60sqft DE filter. Electric heat pump. Aquamatic Pool Cover.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Dumb question, pump strainer basket drain

bolleat:

The drain plug on my pump is located on the bowl where the strainer basket is, toward the bottom but on the side - not under it.
    Gold Supporter, TFP Lifetime Supporter, 26,680 gal Plaster IGP 3.5 - 10' depth / Attached Waterfall Spa, Manually Chlorinated, Triton Sand Filter, 1.5 HP * 1.1 SF = 1.65 SFHP 1-speed Pentair WhisperFlo WF-26 Pump, 400K BTU NG Teledyne Laars Series One Heater, Polaris 360, Test Kit Comparison, Chlorine/CYA Chart, SLAMing Your Pool, OCLT
    A good test kit is an investment, not an expense.

3. Back To Top    #3

Thanks I'll look in the morning. I think it was getting to dark when I tried to find it, maybe just didn't see it.
    32000 Gallon 18'X40' Rectangular Gunite pool. Pentair 60sqft DE filter. Electric heat pump. Aquamatic Pool Cover.

4. Back To Top    #4

It most likely has a drain plug. What make and model?

5. Back To Top    #5

Great. Found my drain in the front of the strainer basket. Ok it is sealed tight, now I need to figure out why I have so much air coming out of my returns. It started after i cleaned my strainer basket so my guess is it must be the top.

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by bolleat
    Great. Found my drain in the front of the strainer basket. Ok it is sealed tight, now I need to figure out why I have so much air coming out of my returns. It started after i cleaned my strainer basket so my guess is it must be the top.
    That is by far the most likely, especially since you just messed with it. Be sure it's lubed up good, the O-ring isn't cracked, and there's no grit or bits of grass in the way.

[center:bi8bnhar][youtube:bi8bnhar]vtSmfws0_To[/youtube:bi8bnhar]
    Round up the usual suspects: low water level, stuck weir in the skimmer, loose drain plugs on the
    pump, poor seal on the pump strainer basket, and leaks at the fittings, especially any couplings.[/center:bi8bnhar]
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

7. Back To Top    #7

Thanks, gotta get me some lube. Without fresh lube will it usually leak? My guess is since I didn't have any lube I couldn't get a good tight seal?

8. Back To Top    #8

The o-ring on the pump basket should be well lubed and able to make a good seal. Clean the pump lid and make sure there is zero debris in there or on the pump lid. Any little bit is enough to make it not get a good seal and let air in.
    18x36 inground vinyl lined, Hayward sand filter and tablet chrolinator, approx 18k gallon