Who's putting poo in our pools?

And again, no mention of the CYA/FC relationship so even private pools will think FC of 1-3ppm is enough as they continue chucking pucks into the water and raising their CYA level :hammer:

It's amazing how few people understand the importance CYA/FC ratio. Nearly everyone who I've ever told that I maintain 5.0 target FC, whether it's friends, coworkers, pool guys, etc. all look at me like I'm crazy!

The CBS News version of the same article recommended using strips to test your sanitation level. Saw it posted several hours ago, declined to post it here. BUT NOW....

Pool owners should use pool test strips to make sure their chlorine and pH levels are maximized for germ-killing power. Proper chlorine should be 1 to 3 milligrams per liter, and pH should be between 7.2 and 7.8, the CDC said.

Here's the link http://www.wctv.tv/home/headlines/S...DC-SAFE-SWIMMING-TIPS-ATTACHED-207759401.html

Maybe that's why we have our own pools and don't go to the public "bathtub". Yuck! I cringe every time my kids want to go to the water slide. The cc in the air is horrendous. Can't wait for the weather to warm so we can enjoy our own!

On the topic of FC/CYA relationship: It's rather funny that a common sense pool user would be able to deduce what we learn here.

Examples:
Recommended levels of FC vs CYA being 3-7 and 30-80 or 3-5 and 30-50
the ratio is 10%. Factor in a little cushion and you have our chart here.

Some websites even have the appropriate details on their products.
InTheSwim.com said:
One 3” (7oz) Tablet of Trichlor delivers approximately 5.495 ppm of available chlorine and 3.27 ppm of Cyanuric acid into 10,000 gallons of water.
Slightly off from the pool calculator, but compared as percentages, almost identical.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.