Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Who's putting poo in our pools?

1. Back To Top    #1

Who's putting poo in our pools?

http://www.healthline.com/health-news/c ... ste-051613

I'd like to go on record as saying *my* pool is poo-free!
    Matt
    9k gallon, plaster, IG. Raised spa w/ spillover into pool. AO Smith Century Centurion / Purex Triton WisperFlo 0.5 HP, Hayward 1.5 HP (spa), Polaris 1-516-01 1.5 HP (blower). Hayward DE3620 36 ft2 72 GPM DE Filter, Polaris 145 cleaner. Pool built ~1980.
    Trouble-free, BBB since: April 25, 2013

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Who's putting poo in our pools?

And again, no mention of the CYA/FC relationship so even private pools will think FC of 1-3ppm is enough as they continue chucking pucks into the water and raising their CYA level
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

It's amazing how few people understand the importance CYA/FC ratio. Nearly everyone who I've ever told that I maintain 5.0 target FC, whether it's friends, coworkers, pool guys, etc. all look at me like I'm crazy!
    Matt
    9k gallon, plaster, IG. Raised spa w/ spillover into pool. AO Smith Century Centurion / Purex Triton WisperFlo 0.5 HP, Hayward 1.5 HP (spa), Polaris 1-516-01 1.5 HP (blower). Hayward DE3620 36 ft2 72 GPM DE Filter, Polaris 145 cleaner. Pool built ~1980.
    Trouble-free, BBB since: April 25, 2013

4. Back To Top    #4

The CBS News version of the same article recommended using strips to test your sanitation level. Saw it posted several hours ago, declined to post it here. BUT NOW....

Pool owners should use pool test strips to make sure their chlorine and pH levels are maximized for germ-killing power. Proper chlorine should be 1 to 3 milligrams per liter, and pH should be between 7.2 and 7.8, the CDC said.
    Here's the link http://www.wctv.tv/home/headlines/Sw...207759401.html
    ~31k gallon 18x36 IG, Vinyl LoopLoc Sahara, Hayward C-750 75sq' Cartridge filter, Pentair Intelliflow VS3050, SGS Breeze760 SWG, Homemade Aerators, SmartPool Nitro 52 Wall Climber, TFT100 XL, Borates, and a partridge in a pear tree :)

5. Back To Top    #5

Maybe that's why we have our own pools and don't go to the public "bathtub". Yuck! I cringe every time my kids want to go to the water slide. The cc in the air is horrendous. Can't wait for the weather to warm so we can enjoy our own!
    24' Round Diamond Star, 54" wall height, 200sq ft sta-rite cartridge filter
    Dynamo 1hp 2 speed pump, 199k Rheem milivolt heater
    Pool rover jr. - our best friend!
    Tf-100 plus borate strips and Taylor k1000.

6. Back To Top    #6

Yesh, really makes you think when attending water parks.
    23K Gallon Freeform Tile Inground
    Hayward Super II 1.5 HP -- Pentair FNSP48 DE Filter @ 120 GPM
    Polaris 3900 Sport (with Booster Pump)

Pool School Attendee -- The TF-100 Test Kit and the Pool Calculator keep my pool Trouble Free -- BBB Supporter

7. Back To Top    #7

On the topic of FC/CYA relationship: It's rather funny that a common sense pool user would be able to deduce what we learn here.

Examples:
    Recommended levels of FC vs CYA being 3-7 and 30-80 or 3-5 and 30-50
    the ratio is 10%. Factor in a little cushion and you have our chart here.

Some websites even have the appropriate details on their products.
    Quote Originally Posted by InTheSwim.com
    One 3 (7oz) Tablet of Trichlor delivers approximately 5.495 ppm of available chlorine and 3.27 ppm of Cyanuric acid into 10,000 gallons of water.
    Slightly off from the pool calculator, but compared as percentages, almost identical.
    Aaron
    [ Vogue Vectra 24' AG | Hard plumb: Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 1HP 2-speed, 27" sand filter & Pentair MiniMax 100 NG | Taylor K-2006 | Central IL ]