Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Evaporation

1. Back To Top    #1

Evaporation

I know this is a difficult question to answer but I figured its worth a forum shot.

Our IG, vinyl pool is in direct sun here in Connecticut. It was recently built and filled about 2 weeks ago for the first time. We have had some dry spells and some rain over the last few weeks but the water level has dropped 3-4". Is that normal? There has been no swimming and I am trying to figure out if there is a leak or if that is normal. Nights have been down to the mid 30s and highs have been high 70s lately. Not sure if these extreme temperature shifts cause faster evaporation?

I am a little concerned because I did have one leak already they found. Not really a leak but they forgot to connect a return line tonthe pukp and so the water was leaking out underground near the pump. Now I am concerned something else is wrong. Also, I have two skimmers and one sucks way more debris than the other. Is that normal?
    17x27x37 (24000 gallons) Lagoon Vinyl liner, Hayward Eco VS Pump, Hayward 4350 DE Filter, Auto Pilot SWG, Savi LED Lighting, Maytronics Dolphin M4 Vacuum

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry

Re: Evaporation

anything over a 1/2 inch daily (on the East Coast) and I would suspect a leak. 1/4 inch is usually evaporation. Quite a bit more in the desert Southwest, etc.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Thanks Dave. Is there a rule of thumb calculation how much water it would take to bring the pool back up to a certain level?
    17x27x37 (24000 gallons) Lagoon Vinyl liner, Hayward Eco VS Pump, Hayward 4350 DE Filter, Auto Pilot SWG, Savi LED Lighting, Maytronics Dolphin M4 Vacuum

4. Back To Top    #4

If you know the surface area of the pool:

Gallons = Surface Area (sq-ft) * Water Rise (in) / 12 * 7.48
    Mark
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump/Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, MaxFlo SP2303VSP, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater