Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: check my numbers

1. Back To Top    #1

check my numbers

Would you believe the snow has erased my memory of how to care for my pool? Every year I have to refresh my memory about what and how much to add.

I have topped off the pool and I'm ready to start adding stuff...
    Here's what I have, and what I plan to add. Let me know if I'm off base anywhere.

FC : 0 (plan to add 565 oz of 8% to bring it to a shock of 11)
    CC: 0
    TC: 0
    pH 7.4
    TA: 150 ppm (would like this to be more like 90 but not sure what to do)
    CYA still seeing the black dot at 20. (plan to add 88oz stabilizer and see where that gets me. Ideally I would like it to be 35 ppm)

We fought copper all last year. In hopes of getting ahead of the game, I plan to do a large treatment of HTH metal out before I shock the pool, then do the recommended maintenance dose weekly. I read somewhere that the metal out works better if there is little chlorine in the pool. Because of this, would it be OK to put the metal out in this afternoon, then put in my CYA socks and chlorine this evening?
    Theresa and/or Gary

Complete DIY: 20x40' rectangle. Resin walls, vinyl lined. 33000 gallons. Full width steps. 8' deep. Diving board, slide. Hayward pro series super pump, sand filter. Raypack 336K BTU heater. Main drain, 2 skimmers, 3 returns, 2 amerilite lights with quick change lens Aquamatic auto cover and a partridge in a pear tree.
    Breaking our backs in the hopes that one of our six kids will care for us when we are old ;)

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: check my numbers

Your plan sounds fine to me. Depending on how much water got in there over the winter you may not have as bad a metals problem as you did last year.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

that is what I'm hoping for. The first season we filled the pool with treated pond water. since, we have been topping off with softened water. We will see who has green hair this year. Thanks for such a fast response. I can always count on my TFP peeps!
    Theresa and/or Gary

Complete DIY: 20x40' rectangle. Resin walls, vinyl lined. 33000 gallons. Full width steps. 8' deep. Diving board, slide. Hayward pro series super pump, sand filter. Raypack 336K BTU heater. Main drain, 2 skimmers, 3 returns, 2 amerilite lights with quick change lens Aquamatic auto cover and a partridge in a pear tree.
    Breaking our backs in the hopes that one of our six kids will care for us when we are old ;)

4. Back To Top    #4

Oh great and powerful pool wizard,

When I opened the pool, my CYA was below 20ppm. I have added CYA to the sock to bring it up to 35ppm (hopefully). In the meantime, should my suggested shock level be 11ppm or 14ppm?

Sincerely,
    lowly laborer
    Theresa and/or Gary

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by 8corneflakes
    Oh great and powerful pool wizard,

When I opened the pool, my CYA was below 20ppm. I have added CYA to the sock to bring it up to 35ppm (hopefully). In the meantime, should my suggested shock level be 11ppm or 14ppm?

Sincerely,
    lowly laborer
    Assume it's there and shock for 35 CYA.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

6. Back To Top    #6

thank you!
    Theresa and/or Gary