Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Convert 120V pool light to 12V

1. Back To Top    #1

Convert 120V pool light to 12V

Hi All,
    As the title suggests, my pool light went bad last year after I changed out the seal, it leaked and ruined the color wheel circuit board. I would now like to change it out to the Intellibrite 5G LED light assy, but since I have a 120V fixture, I would like some advice on transformers as to what to purchase, how it should be installed and what exactly needs to be modified. I can't find any info on this, so if anyone here has done this I would appreciate some info. Although I am very comfortable working with electricity, if I don't know what I am doing I would rather ask so I am armed with information when I finally have an electrician come out and do this. At the same time I will be converting my spa light and swapping out all my breakers (pool pump, waterfall pump and spa blower motor) to GFI's. Although they were installed to code when the pool was built, I need to bring them up to current code and I would feel better about it anyway. Mainly I need some insight on what will have to be done to convert the existing lighting circuit to a 12V one. Any help and advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.
    17.5K IG Pool with Spa spillover and fountain, Plaster Finish, Purex Triton CC420 Cartridge Filter, Pentair Intelliflo XF VS motor, Laars LX GasHeater, Polaris 360

2. Back To Top    #2
    SouthWest Alabama

Re: Convert 120V pool light to 12V

Assuming the cable is ran in conduit you'll need a transformer that rated for pool service. I'm sure Pentair has some specs that you have to meet so you'll need those.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

In the Industry

Re: Convert 120V pool light to 12V

Very simple. Get the hayward 65 watt transformer retro fit kit. It sits on the base of the existing J box.