Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Salt Water Chlorine Generator

1. Back To Top    #1

Salt Water Chlorine Generator

I am a new convert to the BBB concept, which I like in theory, but may not be practical due to the fact that the pool is unattended for up to 10 days at a time.
    Previous to reading the advice contained in Pool School, I would use 3" tablets in a floating dispenser as well as the skimmer basket and it would work OK. However my CYA has built up.
    Would the SWCG by, for example, Intex, work? They seem fairly inexpensive and that they would pay for themselves and be good for unattended use once programed. Am I missing something here?
    Sacramento CA
    33,000gal, IG, circa 1970, (now) fiberglass over plaster, pac-fab paper cartridge, 1.5hp pump, polaris 280 (inoperable, UV damage) with booster, solar heat (inoperable, leak in powermat), skimmer (inoperable, line clogged & possibly fractured under concrete), main drain inoperable (long standing problem), jury rigged deep intake, skimmer line work-around in progress.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Salt Water Chlorine Generator

I cannot answer to an Intex SWG working on your pool.
    I would think you would need a pretty big SWG for your size pool.
    I can, however say that the SWG method of chlorine maint. is bay far the easiest, cheapest and most "hands free" (see unattended) solution out there.
    18' X 36' Inground Pool 26,000 gallons. SuperMax 27mil/27mil Vinyl Liner-Installed Fall 2011
    Pentair Intellipro Programable Pump (Model 011018) // Pentair S8M 500 Cartridge Filter // Circupool RJ45 Salt Chlorinator
    2 Hayward Skimmers // 3 Returns // 2 Savi Melody Pool lights // TF-100 Test Kit.

3. Back To Top    #3

A pool your sized would probably need two of the intex units in parallel to maintain enough chlorine to keep the level up. The only downside would be if you had a power failure. I'm not sure how well they handle that.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

4. Back To Top    #4

I did some research and found that the Intex units are for small above ground pools. The Circupool rj45 looks good.
    Sacramento CA
    33,000gal, IG, circa 1970, (now) fiberglass over plaster, pac-fab paper cartridge, 1.5hp pump, polaris 280 (inoperable, UV damage) with booster, solar heat (inoperable, leak in powermat), skimmer (inoperable, line clogged & possibly fractured under concrete), main drain inoperable (long standing problem), jury rigged deep intake, skimmer line work-around in progress.

5. Back To Top    #5

In the Industry

is bay far the easiest, cheapest and most "hands free" (see unattended) solution out there
    An SWG is the most convenient form of chlorine application but, usually, liquid chlorine is a bit cheaper in the long run.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

6. Back To Top    #6

conrad,
    The RJ45 seems the right size for your pool.
    Always oversize so you do not have to run 100%.
    I run mine at 20-30% depending on use.
    FC stays at 3-5 ppm.
    18' X 36' Inground Pool 26,000 gallons. SuperMax 27mil/27mil Vinyl Liner-Installed Fall 2011
    Pentair Intellipro Programable Pump (Model 011018) // Pentair S8M 500 Cartridge Filter // Circupool RJ45 Salt Chlorinator
    2 Hayward Skimmers // 3 Returns // 2 Savi Melody Pool lights // TF-100 Test Kit.