Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: New Pool Power/Grounding Question

1. Back To Top    #1

New Pool Power/Grounding Question

I just got pool installed a month ahead of schedule. Now I need to get the power installed to the pump. I have a 100Amp service 30' away from the pump (Indoors). My pump is a Century SP1520Z1ESC 2.0hp, 115volts, 15.0Amp 60Hzs pump.

My plan is to run underground wire from pedestal (at pump) thru yard to garage (100 Amp service). Install a 20A Breaker in panel. on the pole was thinking about hard wiring the pump to an outdoor switch, rather than using the factory twistlock plug in a standard GFCI Outlet. Or would I be better off running the plug to an outlet and then running the outlet off a switch. Then I wouldn't have to cut the power cord off?
    Should I install another small sub-panel on the pedestal or just run wire to (switch/Outlet).

Next Question is in regards to grounding. Should I do anything special for grounding. The pool is above ground. I read somewhere about running a ground cable around the perimeter of the pool underground?????????

Here is pic of pump and plug.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: New Pool Power/Grounding Question

I would add the receptacle, but hardwiring is completely acceptable.

What you're really describing is bonding not grounding and yes, you need to run a #8 solid copper bare wire all around the pool and attach the loop to the pool in 4 places. That bonding loop also needs to extend to every metallic piece within 5' of the pool or that touches the pool water (pump, swg, heater, etc).
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

Quote Originally Posted by Bama Rambler
    I would add the receptacle, but hardwiring is completely acceptable.

What you're really describing is bonding not grounding and yes, you need to run a #8 solid copper bare wire all around the pool and attach the loop to the pool in 4 places. That bonding loop also needs to extend to every metallic piece within 5' of the pool or that touches the pool water (pump, swg, heater, etc).
    I checked my local county electrical rules and was not mentioned anywhere, nor did the pool company that installed the pool mention "bonding"

4. Back To Top    #4

That's not surprising. Even though they don't require it, it's still a good idea to do it correctly.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

5. Back To Top    #5

You might want to add a timer at the pedestal, that way you can't forget to turn the pump on or off.
    Dan D
    Used 2003 Aqua Leader 27'x52", 17,800 w/10" hopper, SwimPro SW256T 250# sand filter, Hayward PowerFlo LX pump 1hp impellor, Emerson 1 1/2 hp motor, setup Aug 2012 Summer 2011 used Summer Escapes Ring pool 14' x 42", Intex 1600gph sand filter, HTH 6 way test kitTF-100 w/stirrer, Well water @ FC=0, PH=7.2, TA=290, CH=320