Changing from bromine to chlorine...I think

May 6, 2013
Hello All,

I had convinced myself to move to chlorine this year in our 2169 gallon fibreglass swim spa. I've purchased the Taylor k-2006 and I've completed an inventory of my existing chemicals.

Yesterday, I drained and refilled the swim spa. I added dichlor according to the pool calculator. The water results are listed below. My only reservation now is that I have a tub of bromine tabs that were purchased last summer and stored outside during the winter. Should I use Bromine until the tabs are finished and change over at the mid-season refill? Should I use the Bromine for the winter fill (we run at 104 then)? I hate to waste chemicals and I hate to waste money. I should have asked this question before adding the dichlor but I don't know if that matters given my water testing data.

From what I see:
I'll need to purchase calcium chloride whether I run bromine or chlorine.
I'll need to keep adding dichlor to increase the CYA if I continue with chlorine. Day 2 of the 4 day start up would be today.
I'll need to purchase bromide to start a bank if I use the Bromine tabs. I'll also need to purchase the Taylor reactants for bromine.
Did I get that right? I've been reading everything on this site for many months...thanks

CYA 0
FC 5
CC 1
Ca hardness 140
pH 7.5
TA 95

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.