Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Salt test strips vs k-1766 Taylor salt test

1. Back To Top    #1

Salt test strips vs k-1766 Taylor salt test

Which one would be more accurate and which would be more cost effective? Test strips work out to $1.25 each but I don't know how many tests the k-1766 will perform.
    Angie M.
    AG, 26' x 52" Intex Ultra Frame, vinyl, 14667 gal. And LOVING it!!! Hayward S15922S 1HP, 2SP pump and Hayward S220T Sand Filter. Hard plumbed with PVC, added second return, intex SWG, Hydro Pool widemouth skimmer. Set up in May 2012!
    N.E. Florida. TF100 - Best investment EVER! (Well, for the pool anyway)

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Salt test strips vs k-1766 Taylor salt test

I have only used strips and I think they are accurate and very easy to read. But I have nothing else to compare them to, so let someone else chime in first.
    Intex 18ft x 52in Ultra Frame Pool, hard plumbed w/skimmer and fountain
    Intex 4000 gph cartridge filter pump
    Intex SWG

3. Back To Top    #3

Thanks schertzy82, I have the strips too. I need to order new salt tests and am trying to decide between the two.
    Angie M.
    AG, 26' x 52" Intex Ultra Frame, vinyl, 14667 gal. And LOVING it!!! Hayward S15922S 1HP, 2SP pump and Hayward S220T Sand Filter. Hard plumbed with PVC, added second return, intex SWG, Hydro Pool widemouth skimmer. Set up in May 2012!

4. Back To Top    #4

The test strips generally work wonderfully and are just as precise as the Taylor test, most of the time. However, the test strips seem prone to some kind of interference. For some people they are just wildly wrong. We were never able to pin down what was causing the problem, so we mostly recommend the Taylor test these days.

Unless you are a professional, you won't use up either the strips or the drops, and both should be replaced annually, so the drop test ends up being more expensive.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

5. Back To Top    #5

Thank you Jason. I've not had problems with the strips so I suppose I'll stick with them. I was trying to put an order together and just needed help deciding.
    Angie M.

6. Back To Top    #6

For what it is worth, my strip readings and my SWG indicated (digital readout) readings are usually within 100 ppm of each other.
    By my standards, that is pretty good. (3%+/-)
    18' X 36' Inground Pool 26,000 gallons. SuperMax 27mil/27mil Vinyl Liner-Installed Fall 2011
    Pentair Intellipro Programable Pump (Model 011018) // Pentair S8M 500 Cartridge Filter // Circupool RJ45 Salt Chlorinator
    2 Hayward Skimmers // 3 Returns // 2 Savi Melody Pool lights // TF-100 Test Kit.

7. Back To Top    #7

I think my strips have been pretty accurate. I was just curious as to accuracy vs price I guess. Since I won't be using very often and Jason says they need to be replaced annually I'll just stick with the strips.

I think all of your reply may help others with similar questions.

Thanks again for all the responses.

Angie M.