Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Hi from Raleigh

1. Back To Top    #1

Hi from Raleigh

Hello! I currently have an Intex Easy Set 18x48 with a SWG. I want to get an UltraFrame (I think). Toys R Us had the 18x52 for $499, but they don't have it in store, so it would be $200 for shipping. I was looking at Target and they have the 20 x 52 for $699. I have a RedCard that the cost would be $705 shipped.... Aside from cost, what should I look for? I have the Intex SWG that I will use with the new pool. I'm thinking it would be under $1000 for set-up. Getting water delivered is $200 (I have a well). My husband has been thinking about getting a "real" AG pool (My in-laws are 10 minutes away and they just got a 24x52 AG installed). With that pool so close, I think we could be really happy with an Intex. Eventually we might want a more permanent pool. I do think we will want to get a better ladder or stairs. So my questions:

Do you think that is a good deal?
    Is there another avenue I should explore (different pool, etc)?
    Are there a ton of things I haven't considered (I know there probably are)?
    Is the pump that comes with it good enough (Filter Pump Flow Rate Per Hour: 1600.0 Gal.)?
    What kind of ladder or stairs would you recommend?
    I have a 6y/o and 4y/o. What kinds of safety precautions do you recommend?

I'm sure I will have more questions, but I probably need to browse through the forums and find the answers myself. Anyway, Hi!

Abi
    Abi
    Intex 18x48 Easyset with SWG, hoping to upgrade to 20x52 UltraFrame

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Hi from Raleigh

Welcome to TFP!

Intex pool are real pools and are managed the same way and with the same chemicals as other pools. Be sure to get yourself a good test kit. As far as actual options and ABG pool products, I don't have a lot of experience there. Others here do though so I am sure that you will get plenty of replies to thoose questions here at TFP.

3. Back To Top    #3

Abealge:

Welcome to TFP
    Quote Originally Posted by Abeagle
    I have a 6y/o and 4y/o. What kinds of safety precautions do you recommend?
    Just as there is no substitute for cubic inches, the best safety precaution is adult supervision when pre-teen children are in or near the water. Second to that, I would encourage taking the kids for swimming lessons. It is one of the best gifts you will ever give them.
    Gold Supporter, TFP Lifetime Supporter, 26,680 gal Plaster IGP 3.5 - 10' depth / Attached Waterfall Spa, Manually Chlorinated, Triton Sand Filter, 1.5 HP * 1.1 SF = 1.65 SFHP 1-speed Pentair WhisperFlo WF-26 Pump, 400K BTU NG Teledyne Laars Series One Heater, Polaris 360, Test Kit Comparison, Chlorine/CYA Chart, SLAMing Your Pool, OCLT
    A good test kit is an investment, not an expense.

4. Back To Top    #4

Thanks! We are planning on swimming lessons. Any time the kids are near the water, either my husband or I (or both!) will be there. I was wondering about gates or latches or alarms. We take out the ladder each time from the easy set and the boys have never tried to get in there. Not that I'd ever knowingly allow them in by themselves, they can both touch the bottom in the easy set, but won't be able to in the bigger pool. They listen well and we have drilled them repeatedly with rules, but can't have too many safety precautions, right?
    Abi
    Intex 18x48 Easyset with SWG, hoping to upgrade to 20x52 UltraFrame