LifeTime Supporter
Jul 14, 2011
St. Paul, MN
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
I've received a couple of quotes for installing an auto pool cover for my inground pool and am wondering if the prices seem reasonable.

I have a 20'x40' vinyl oval shaped pool. The estimates I have received are both about $10,000 for the cover and install of the cover. Both are for CoverStar brand covers. The estimates include cutting out decking and installation of the reel, rails, etc...

The estimates don't include the electrical or any concrete work if that is need.

I am in Minnesota.

Sound reasonable?

A couple of additional questions:

1. Thumbs up or down on the CoverStar brand?

2. For my install, the vault for the pool cover will be between the deep end of the pool and the diving board. The install of the pool cover will cause the concrete that the diving board is on to be completely separated from the rest of the pool deck. Any concerns about this?

Didn't notice you have an oval pool. So your rails will be installed in your pool deck. I'm not familiar with how the cover runs in those types of tracks, assume it's same as mine.

Your installer will be the most important part of the equation. If my pool builder had installed Aquamatic i might have considered them, but he only had experience with coverstar.

I would ask a bunch of questions regarding the cover rubbing on the pool deck as it is opened and closed. I would be afraid the cover would wear very quickly rubbing across the concrete. You can't easily see the underneath side of the cover to monitor this either.

Couple of comments....

Your pool will stay a lot warmer.

You'll use less chlorine due to reduced stuff getting in your pool and reduced sunlight exposure.

You will have to do maintenance on it, cleaning out the pit couple times a year. Scrubbing the cover with a citrus cleaner. Treating the cover with 303 aerospace protectant. spraying some food grade silicon on the pulley's.

You will have to keep/put a pump on the surface of the cover when it's going to rain to pump the water off. It can fill up with water and be okay, but it takes a long time to pump water off. You aren't supposed to operate it with water on it, too heavy for motor.

You can walk on it, in fact you could have a party on it. (Assuming it's installed in a similar manner to mine). If you couldn't, what would be the point from a saftey aspect?

You'll want to blow the leaves off the cover during the fall to avoid them sitting on there and staining it (stains did come out for me this year, looks new after my cleaning).

Depending on the pit cover you choose, you may be able to walk on it, or may be advised against walking on it.

All said and done, i like it because in this order....

Properly pumped off it keeps kids safe
It allows me to keep my pool hot and extend the season
I've never used a leaf net.
I've never shocked (on purpose).

Any questions just ask.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.