something funny is going on

botanica37

LifeTime Supporter
Feb 3, 2009
Oakton, VA
Hello, everyone,

this is my 5th year on BBB, so I feel fairly confident in what I am doing. I opened to a clear pool, did the prelim testing and my CYA was 10 (had the water in the house overnight so that the temp is around 72), which I totally expected, knowing my levels for the past couple of years and with the closing level being around 30.

Pool calculator said that I need 14 lbs of stabilizer, and I found 8 lbs at Walmart, dry stabilizer, 100% Cyanuric acid. I put the whole 8 lbs in a sock and waited about 10 days without backwashing or anything. Today I checked the CYA and it was 90. I checked it 3 times. Any idea as to what happened? I've never used stabilizer before, so this is a complete surprise.

Thank you!

Are you sure about your pool size? (I suspect that you are but that is the most common reason for overshooting)

I suspect that your first test was wrong. 8 lbs would have raised the CYA by 24 ppm in a pool your size.

OK, a week later, haven't drained any water and today the CYA is 60. Is it possible that somehow the place I took the samples a week ago somehow had higher CYA concentration? It does take a while to dissolve, right? Though it seem highly unlikely, because I had the Aquamax running before getting the high reading.

So I guess the question now is which reading I believe? I have plenty of R0013, so keep checking it? I've never had that much variation in CYA testing since I've been doing BBB. And the R0013 is fresh, from this year. Ughh. Any ideas on what is going on? What is the most logical explanation? I am totally baffled.

Thanks.

My other numbers, just in case:
Chlorine 10
PH 7.5
TA 90
CH 260
CYA 60
temp. 71

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.