Where to to Start

May 15, 2013
I have been reading postings for the last week and trying to get familiar with all the aspects of owning a pool. I had to drain my pool half way since the CYA level was above 100. I should have my pool filled today. Whats the first steps in getting my pool corrected. It is a 17200 gal pool and has SWG which recommends 4000 salt level Jandy 35 EI. I'm going to add the salt first then what are the next step? Any help would be great.. I have my own test kit TF100.

Welcome to TFP!

The first step is obviously going to be to test your new water. After that, add chlorine, to prevent algae, then start adjusting for the levels as described in Recommended Levels

Post your test results and information about your pool surface and we'll try to point you in the right direction.

Once your pool is filled and is circulating for perhaps an hour, do a complete set of tests, post them on this thread, and we'll go from there.

pH will likely be first but it may or may not need adjusting.

Get a lot of bleach, it won't go bad and you will either need it to shock or to bring your pool up to normal levels.

jtk11121 said:
OK The water truck came today and filled half my pool. Here are the readings i took.( Added salt already will check tomorrow.)

FC= .5
TC= 1.0
PH= 7.8
TA= 90
CH= 160
CYA= 70
WOW, that CYA is after replacing half? :shock:

I would say the next step is lower pH because it will climb out of the comfort zone in a hurry and then add some chlorine - no dichlor shock and no trichlor pucks! - to get that FC up between 5 and 10. You can add one and then add the second after half an hour if the pump has been running.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.