Countertop Question

May 15, 2013
Hoping to start framing my bbq island this weekend, but am not quite sure how I should do my countertop. I purchased instructions from symphonybbq.com and it all looks pretty straightforward, but he only really covers building an island for bbq carts, not for built-ins. I've got a Vermont Castings VCS501SSBI that I got for my 40th bday that's been sitting crated up for over a year and a half because we ended up selling our house in May of last year, moving to temporary housing for 2 months and then buying a home in July. Other projects with the new home, along with a winter that wouldn't end(4" of snow on May 3rd in the Twin Cities of MN) have delayed me until now. Enough for the complaining, back to the countertop question. I plan on going with a stacked stone tile on the sides of my island so I will need a overhang on my countertop to cover that at the top. The easiest solution would be to purchase a granite slab with cutouts for the grill and the side and searing burners I'm going to be installing, but that may be cost-prohibitive. So I am thinking of using granite tile for my countertop instead. In order to get the overhang I need, should I create the base according to the instructions from symphonybbq.com and then create a countertop framed by using steel studs on their sides slightly larger than the base? Should I do something totally different. Help, please!

Welcome to TFP!
Hard to picture what kind of design you are going for...so forgive me if I am misinterpreting! It sounds like you are asking about a little lip at the corner, not building a bar with space underneath? There are a few things you could do. The easiest would probably be to stop the stacked stone a couple inches below the top, then layer a couple strips of cement board to bring it almost flush with the stone, then use a thin strip of tile on top of that. you'll need to get a bullnose piece for the corner, or maybe use a different trim tile.

I hope that makes sense...if not, feel free to post a pic or link to your instructions so we can better see what you mean.

I had thought of doing that, but I wasn't sure if it was a good idea to use such narrow strips of cement board. Sorry, I've never had an opportunity before to use cement board so I have zero experience. Thankfully there are forums like this where nice people such as yourself can help clueless people like me. Now that I know I think your suggestion will work really good for my purposes.

My plan is to build a straight island for my grill, burners and double-door and also build a separate bar-height structure to put barstools around that will behind me when I'm at the grill. I guess you could almost call it a galley style.

Thanks again for your suggestion!

I was going to pour concrete and add lights in the concrete. Got lazy, so I am going with granite (something funky) and bought under mount LED lights (16 feet) that change colors and are programmable.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.