Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Countertop Question

1. Back To Top    #1

Countertop Question

Hoping to start framing my bbq island this weekend, but am not quite sure how I should do my countertop. I purchased instructions from symphonybbq.com and it all looks pretty straightforward, but he only really covers building an island for bbq carts, not for built-ins. I've got a Vermont Castings VCS501SSBI that I got for my 40th bday that's been sitting crated up for over a year and a half because we ended up selling our house in May of last year, moving to temporary housing for 2 months and then buying a home in July. Other projects with the new home, along with a winter that wouldn't end(4" of snow on May 3rd in the Twin Cities of MN) have delayed me until now. Enough for the complaining, back to the countertop question. I plan on going with a stacked stone tile on the sides of my island so I will need a overhang on my countertop to cover that at the top. The easiest solution would be to purchase a granite slab with cutouts for the grill and the side and searing burners I'm going to be installing, but that may be cost-prohibitive. So I am thinking of using granite tile for my countertop instead. In order to get the overhang I need, should I create the base according to the instructions from symphonybbq.com and then create a countertop framed by using steel studs on their sides slightly larger than the base? Should I do something totally different. Help, please!

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Countertop Question

Welcome to TFP!
    Hard to picture what kind of design you are going for...so forgive me if I am misinterpreting! It sounds like you are asking about a little lip at the corner, not building a bar with space underneath? There are a few things you could do. The easiest would probably be to stop the stacked stone a couple inches below the top, then layer a couple strips of cement board to bring it almost flush with the stone, then use a thin strip of tile on top of that. you'll need to get a bullnose piece for the corner, or maybe use a different trim tile.

I hope that makes sense...if not, feel free to post a pic or link to your instructions so we can better see what you mean.
    11,200 gal, Pebble-Tec; Tristar 2-speed 1hp - Swimclear 325 ft2 cart - SWG - A & A in-floor cleaner - Heat pump. For the poolside cooking, a Yoder Wichita and a Big Steel Keg!
    TF Test Kits -- PoolMath -- Pool School
    Make each day your masterpiece. - John Wooden

3. Back To Top    #3

I had thought of doing that, but I wasn't sure if it was a good idea to use such narrow strips of cement board. Sorry, I've never had an opportunity before to use cement board so I have zero experience. Thankfully there are forums like this where nice people such as yourself can help clueless people like me. Now that I know I think your suggestion will work really good for my purposes.

My plan is to build a straight island for my grill, burners and double-door and also build a separate bar-height structure to put barstools around that will behind me when I'm at the grill. I guess you could almost call it a galley style.

Thanks again for your suggestion!

4. Back To Top    #4

How thick is your stone? I was thinking maybe 2 or 3 layers of hardi, but if your stone is 2" thick it might be a problem.
    11,200 gal, Pebble-Tec; Tristar 2-speed 1hp - Swimclear 325 ft2 cart - SWG - A & A in-floor cleaner - Heat pump. For the poolside cooking, a Yoder Wichita and a Big Steel Keg!

5. Back To Top    #5

I was thinking of going with this product from Home Depot: http://www.homedepot.com/p/M-S-Internat ... ZT_GrWcc_g

Only 1" thick so a couple of strips should cover me.

6. Back To Top    #6

Yeah that should be fine...figure your tile will be half an inch thick too, so you probably would need 2 strips. Be sure to thinset them together as you screw them down...

7. Back To Top    #7

Will do and once again, thanks for your help.

8. Back To Top    #8

Please post pic of your build. I too looked at that website for ideas and instruction and would like to see how yours turned out! Thanks!
    19 x 34 In-ground Gunite 3.5-7ft deep; 18” raised spa 7’diameter with tiered spillway
    Diamondbright Plaster - Blue; Pentair cartridge filter; Pentair IntelliFlo VS-3050
    Stay-rite Heater 400,000 BTU; In-line chlorinator; Pentair LED lights X2 pool, x1 spa
    3 Bubblers on Tan ledge; Location: Texas Gulf Coast

9. Back To Top    #9

I was going to pour concrete and add lights in the concrete. Got lazy, so I am going with granite (something funky) and bought under mount LED lights (16 feet) that change colors and are programmable.