Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 32

Thread: new owner' also a bbb convert!

  1. Back To Top    #1

    new owner' also a bbb convert!

    Hey everyone. Been a regular visitor here for about two weeks now, first post. I'll tell you my story....

    I bought thi house from my father in law. I opened a swamp that filled to the top due to drain and snow. Dark black and green with inches of leaves and no idea what to do..... Father in laws advice was to continuously vacuum to waste And fill until the water cleared up, then go to pool store and spend lots of money. I didn't like the sound or logic of that so I did some googling and stumbled across your site. I got the most of the leaves out but didn't start vacuuming because I didnt like that I couldn't see what I was sucking up, haha. Anyway, I became in a hurry because my wife started planning the "first annual brown splash bash" here on memorial day weekend.

    That sent me to the pool store where I bought trichlor " pH reducer", "pool shock ", algecide, and my first test kit, or what was really test strips that only test Fc Tc PH and alkalinity, lol. Yes, go ahead call me noob

    Well the after blindly shocking with no idea of my cya, or even what that was, I decided to finish reading pool school.

    Thanks to you guys I spent the next few days correcting my mistakes. I bought a k 2005 thinking it was a k 2006. Returned that, sold the trichlor on craigslist, and now use only liquid chlorine sold by pool store who produces it at discounted rate of 14.31 after tax for 5 gallon carhop of 12%. I created my own aerator for lowering my alkalinity with the rest of the "pH reducer" that I bought. I'm awaiting my k 2006 from amazon, only reason I bought that one is because I have prime membership and was 50 bucks with no tax or shipping.

    The water is blue and can see the shallow end but cloudy enough to not see the deep end yet. I'll be hoping my kit comes tomorrow to post my first test. Been shocking at around 20( thanks to a pool store cya reading of " I think it might be around 30-50"....lol) for about a week and a half. Using test strips lol. Back washing, brushing, vacuuming to waste.

    Considering opeinving the filter and checking the sand or hosing it out as the forum suggests for sand, but I wanna do an oclt and anxious for a real test. Even thought about getting some de powder.

    I dunno if I should have waited, but I read somewhere else that alkalinity being high might cause cloudiness. So I put in the pH reducer and according to the test strips, lowered my alkalinity and am currently aerating off my one return. But then I read that pH and alkalinity tests aren't reliable during shocking. So there's another noon mistake......

    All in all, I am thankful to have found you! I'll post my test results with before and after pics tomorrow. I'm typing this on a tablet so sorry for spelling.
    24k, IG, vinyl, tagelus sand filter, 1 hp pump- noob pool owner!

  2. Back To Top    #2

    Re: new owner' also a bbb convert!

    Some pics
    Attached Images Attached Images
    24k, IG, vinyl, tagelus sand filter, 1 hp pump- noob pool owner!

  3. Back To Top    #3
    linen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Twin Cities, MN
    Posts
    8,649

    Re: new owner' also a bbb convert!

    Welcome to tfp, Daphillenium

    It sounds like you have a good grasp of the methods taught on tfp

    Get us your test results when you get your kit.
    TFP Expert who uses Pool School and my TF100 test kit along with PoolMath for my: Round 11K gallon AGP with deep end, 20" sand filter, Matrix 1hp 2spd, 6 2ftX20ft solar panels (and solar cover!), Intex SWCG (copper bars disconnected) and a Rubadub hot tub (chlorine). The SLAM process is not finished until: 1. CC < 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT < 1.0 ppm and, 3. The water is crystal clear.

  4. Back To Top    #4
    Richard320's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    San Dimas, CA (LA County)
    Posts
    18,768

    Re: new owner' also a bbb convert!

    Welcome!

    When you do get your test kit, don't get excited if
    1) pH is high
    2) TA test goes blue > yellow instead of green>pink
    Both conditions are caused by high FC

    Also, there's no point in doing the OCLT until the water is clear. You need to pass all three tests, so if the pool is still murky, there's no point fumbling around in the dark wasting reagents doing the OCLT.

    And TA is the last thing to worry about. Just maintaining the pH should bring it down. Save it until everything else is going good and you're bored.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

  5. Back To Top    #5
    BoDarville's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    DFW, Texas
    Posts
    3,840

    Re: new owner' also a bbb convert!

    Daphillenium:

    Welcome to TFP

    Quote Originally Posted by Daphillenium
    ...thanks to a pool store cya reading of " I think it might be around 30-50"...
    The CYA test is perhaps the most subjective test to gauge. For best results, after you have mixed the CYA reagent and pool water as directed and are ready to pour the mixture into the view tube, do this outside in bright midday sun. Stand with your back to the sun while holding the view tube at waist level. Proper bright light is critical for that test - indoor lighting is really not sufficient.
    Gold Supporter, TFP Lifetime Supporter, 26,680 gal Plaster IGP 3.5 - 10' depth / Attached Waterfall Spa, Manually Chlorinated, Triton Sand Filter, 1.5 HP * 1.1 SF = 1.65 SFHP 1-speed Pentair WhisperFlo WF-26 Pump, 400K BTU NG Teledyne Laars Series One Heater, Polaris 360, Test Kit Comparison, Chlorine/CYA Chart, SLAMing Your Pool, OCLT
    A good test kit is an investment, not an expense.

  6. Back To Top    #6

    Re: new owner' also a bbb convert!

    Quote Originally Posted by BoDarville
    Daphillenium:

    Welcome to TFP

    Quote Originally Posted by Daphillenium
    ...thanks to a pool store cya reading of " I think it might be around 30-50"...
    The CYA test is perhaps the most subjective test to gauge. For best results, after you have mixed the CYA reagent and pool water as directed and are ready to pour the mixture into the view tube, do this outside in bright midday sun. Stand with your back to the sun while holding the view tube at waist level. Proper bright light is critical for that test - indoor lighting is really not sufficient.
    Thanks for the info. It's raining today so a ill overcast...... But


    Got my kit!
    FC is 17
    Cc is 1.0 I think.
    Ph shows 8, with acid demand showing 6 drops to get to 7.0
    Alkalinity is 200
    Ch is 350
    Cya is less than 30 I think. Dot never disappeared.
    Csi looked to be .8-.9


    Not at all what I expected. I did expect high alkalinity and ch. but I thought my ph was low due to test strips so I've been aerating. I've got some leftover ph reducer from pool store, i could put that in, but i think ya said not to worry if ph is high. Looks like ill be making a trip to Wally World and picking up some "stabilizer."

    Does that sound like a correct course of action?

    Thanks y'all.
    24k, IG, vinyl, tagelus sand filter, 1 hp pump- noob pool owner!

  7. Back To Top    #7
    harleysilo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    North Georgia
    Posts
    1,924

    Re: new owner' also a bbb convert!

    PH testing is not accurate with FC levels above 10 which you have.
    18'x43' Sport Pool
    19,000 Gallons Vinyl Liner 3'-3.5'-4'
    SWCG and D.E. Filter
    Test Kits - Pool Calculator - Chlorine/CYA Chart - Pool School

    Secret Weapon for Pool Chemistry Testing

  8. Back To Top    #8
    linen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Twin Cities, MN
    Posts
    8,649

    Re: new owner' also a bbb convert!

    As Harleysilo said, your ph should be fine to leave for now.

    Quote Originally Posted by harleysilo
    Does that sound like a correct course of action?
    Yes. Be careful with the cya since you do not know how far below 30 you are. I might only add enough to go up 15 ppm more, and test again in a week.
    TFP Expert who uses Pool School and my TF100 test kit along with PoolMath for my: Round 11K gallon AGP with deep end, 20" sand filter, Matrix 1hp 2spd, 6 2ftX20ft solar panels (and solar cover!), Intex SWCG (copper bars disconnected) and a Rubadub hot tub (chlorine). The SLAM process is not finished until: 1. CC < 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT < 1.0 ppm and, 3. The water is crystal clear.

  9. Back To Top    #9

    Re: new owner' also a bbb convert!

    Quote Originally Posted by linen
    As Harleysilo said, your ph should be fine to leave for now.

    Quote Originally Posted by harleysilo
    Does that sound like a correct course of action?
    Yes. Be careful with the cya since you do not know how far below 30 you are. I might only add enough to go up 15 ppm more, and test again in a week.
    Hey, yesterday I put the cya into two tube socks and placed them in front of my return.

    I work at a fire dept. so I'm gone for 24 hours today, but I put the wife to work, she's going to backwash, add some chlorine, and skim the helicopter leaves off the top!

    My question for the day is this.....I have been watching my pressure since the beginning and have only seen the pressure rise twice. The first time was when I put the eyeball on the return. It went from 18 to 22. Also when I had my "aerator" on it was about 22. That is just hydraulics at work.....

    But the second time, and only ever time was yesterday. Normally I would vacuum to waste, but yesterday I tried just vacuuming using filter. When vacuuming the deep end I noticed the return looked like it was flowing less. I went and checked the pump/filter and the pressure was over 30. Turned the pump off, immediately backwashed and finished vacuuming to waste. Also checked for clogs, there was none. Normal operating pressure of 18 again after I finished.

    But I am curious to why I have never seen any pressure rise during normal operation. I've been trying to backwash almost once a day anyway though.

    Am I backwashing too often, or could there be a reason that my pressure doesn't rise at all over the course of 1-2 days? Channeling or old sand that is no longer effective?

    Thanks for the help!
    24k, IG, vinyl, tagelus sand filter, 1 hp pump- noob pool owner!

  10. Back To Top    #10
    linen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Twin Cities, MN
    Posts
    8,649

    Re: new owner' also a bbb convert!

    Quote Originally Posted by Daphillenium
    But I am curious to why I have never seen any pressure rise during normal operation. I've been trying to backwash almost once a day anyway though.

    Am I backwashing too often, or could there be a reason that my pressure doesn't rise at all over the course of 1-2 days? Channeling or old sand that is no longer effective?
    Probably too often. We recommend waiting until the pressure goes up 25% from your clean pressure. Does you gauge go to 0 when you turn off the pump?

    I probably only need to backwash once a month when things are normal.
    TFP Expert who uses Pool School and my TF100 test kit along with PoolMath for my: Round 11K gallon AGP with deep end, 20" sand filter, Matrix 1hp 2spd, 6 2ftX20ft solar panels (and solar cover!), Intex SWCG (copper bars disconnected) and a Rubadub hot tub (chlorine). The SLAM process is not finished until: 1. CC < 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT < 1.0 ppm and, 3. The water is crystal clear.

  11. Back To Top    #11

    Re: new owner' also a bbb convert!

    yeah it goes to 0....the only reason i was backwashing so much was because i had read from another site that to clear up a swamp you just chlorinate and backwash frequently. But if I'm not seeing the pressure go up then does that mean some of the debris is getting through the sandfilter? It's still pretty cloudy water.
    24k, IG, vinyl, tagelus sand filter, 1 hp pump- noob pool owner!

  12. Back To Top    #12
    Richard320's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    San Dimas, CA (LA County)
    Posts
    18,768

    Re: new owner' also a bbb convert!

    Quote Originally Posted by Daphillenium
    yeah it goes to 0....the only reason i was backwashing so much was because i had read from another site that to clear up a swamp you just chlorinate and backwash frequently. But if I'm not seeing the pressure go up then does that mean some of the debris is getting through the sandfilter? It's still pretty cloudy water.
    Sand filters do not filter down as small as other types. So what you may be seeing are particles smaller than 20 microns or so. FWIW, a slightly dirty sand filter filters better than a spanking clean one.

    If you want to reduce the size of the particles getting through, add some diatomaceous earth. Directions are in Pool School. Open the full menu and look under the how-to's.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

  13. Back To Top    #13

    Re: new owner' also a bbb convert!

    Hey everyone. Just finished today's work. Vacuum to waste, but then realized that I vacuumed some cya. Bought some de and added it. Within 4 hours my pressure was up so I backwashed. Then back to the +1 more than normal operating pressure after adding de. Think I backwashed the de out?

    Did a test this morning....
    Fc 15
    Cc .5
    PH 7.6
    Cya
    Still less than 30



    Did another test just now
    Fc 15
    Cc less than .5 probably
    Cya was what I thought to be 40

    I didn't add any chlorine today....but my fc stayed the same....is that normal for a cloudy pool still?
    24k, IG, vinyl, tagelus sand filter, 1 hp pump- noob pool owner!

  14. Back To Top    #14
    Richard320's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    San Dimas, CA (LA County)
    Posts
    18,768

    Re: new owner' also a bbb convert!

    Quote Originally Posted by Daphillenium
    Hey everyone. Just finished today's work. Vacuum to waste, but then realized that I vacuumed some cya. Bought some de and added it. Within 4 hours my pressure was up so I backwashed. Then back to the +1 more than normal operating pressure after adding de. Think I backwashed the de out?

    Did a test this morning....
    Fc 15
    Cc .5
    PH 7.6
    Cya
    Still less than 30



    Did another test just now
    Fc 15
    Cc less than .5 probably
    Cya was what I thought to be 40

    I didn't add any chlorine today....but my fc stayed the same....is that normal for a cloudy pool still?
    Could be, if all the cloudiness is just algae corpses.

    I take it the DE is speeding things along?
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

  15. Back To Top    #15

    Re: new owner' also a bbb convert!

    Quote Originally Posted by Richard320
    Quote Originally Posted by Daphillenium
    Hey everyone. Just finished today's work. Vacuum to waste, but then realized that I vacuumed some cya. Bought some de and added it. Within 4 hours my pressure was up so I backwashed. Then back to the +1 more than normal operating pressure after adding de. Think I backwashed the de out?

    Did a test this morning....
    Fc 15
    Cc .5
    PH 7.6
    Cya
    Still less than 30



    Did another test just now
    Fc 15
    Cc less than .5 probably
    Cya was what I thought to be 40

    I didn't add any chlorine today....but my fc stayed the same....is that normal for a cloudy pool still?
    Could be, if all the cloudiness is just algae corpses.

    I take it the DE is speeding things along?
    That's what I'm hoping, just dead algae, hopefully no zombie algae lol. I've been keeping an eye on my pressure tonight. It actually went back down to the normal operating pressure before I added the DE. Think I should put some more in? Right after I put the DE in it went up 1 psi. Then about 4 hours later I checked it and it was about 12 psi higher. Backwashed and it went right back to the 1 psi over normal. That was the only time it went up.

    The wife did say she thinks its getting better though.

    Hopefully it'll be ready by saturday!
    24k, IG, vinyl, tagelus sand filter, 1 hp pump- noob pool owner!

  16. Back To Top    #16

    Re: new owner' also a bbb convert!

    Mornin! Did a test this morning to see my FC loss overnight

    FC 11.5
    CC MAYBE .5
    CYA 35-40

    Looks like an overnight loss of 3.5
    Time to add more chlorine....Still cloudy!
    24k, IG, vinyl, tagelus sand filter, 1 hp pump- noob pool owner!

  17. Back To Top    #17
    Well I added chlorine earlier, then brushed the pool, and skimmed all the helicopter leaves off the top.....checked my fc after adding what pool calc told me to bring it up to 16, and I ended up at 21. I only put in approximately 1 gallon of 12%. It went from 11 to 21!

    Maybe I'm doing something wrong when testing....

    I've been using a 10 ml sample instead of 25 due to high fc levels. When I add the powder it turns red after one scoop. Should I hold off on the second scoop? Is that a waste or could it alter the test at all?

    Also, I've been battling these helicopter leaves for a day now and I suspect it is going to get worse as their starting to fall more frequently from a nearby tree. (This close to getting the chainsaw out!) The CYA chart says I should be at 16 FC to shock. Since these leaves are going to be on the surface in between skimmings, should I leave the FC high around 20 ish? Thanks!
    24k, IG, vinyl, tagelus sand filter, 1 hp pump- noob pool owner!

  18. Back To Top    #18
    Richard320's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    San Dimas, CA (LA County)
    Posts
    18,768

    Re:

    Quote Originally Posted by Daphillenium
    Well I added chlorine earlier, then brushed the pool, and skimmed all the helicopter leaves off the top.....checked my fc after adding what pool calc told me to bring it up to 16, and I ended up at 21. I only put in approximately 1 gallon of 12%. It went from 11 to 21!

    Maybe I'm doing something wrong when testing....

    I've been using a 10 ml sample instead of 25 due to high fc levels. When I add the powder it turns red after one scoop. Should I hold off on the second scoop? Is that a waste or could it alter the test at all?

    Also, I've been battling these helicopter leaves for a day now and I suspect it is going to get worse as their starting to fall more frequently from a nearby tree. (This close to getting the chainsaw out!) The CYA chart says I should be at 16 FC to shock. Since these leaves are going to be on the surface in between skimmings, should I leave the FC high around 20 ish? Thanks!
    Hmmm...a gallon of 12.5% in a 24K pool should have only raised FC 5 ppm. Could be that your pool is not as big as you think it is. Or the chlorine is especially fresh and is slightly overstrength, but I really doubt it was double strength. More likely it wasn't mixed well or you made a testing error. It's very easy to forget and multiply by the wrong factor when doing the FAS-DPD test. When you add powder and mix it, if you still have an undissolved granule or two before you start adding drops, you have enough.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

  19. Back To Top    #19

    Re: Re:

    Quote Originally Posted by Richard320
    Quote Originally Posted by Daphillenium
    Well I added chlorine earlier, then brushed the pool, and skimmed all the helicopter leaves off the top.....checked my fc after adding what pool calc told me to bring it up to 16, and I ended up at 21. I only put in approximately 1 gallon of 12%. It went from 11 to 21!

    Maybe I'm doing something wrong when testing....

    I've been using a 10 ml sample instead of 25 due to high fc levels. When I add the powder it turns red after one scoop. Should I hold off on the second scoop? Is that a waste or could it alter the test at all?

    Also, I've been battling these helicopter leaves for a day now and I suspect it is going to get worse as their starting to fall more frequently from a nearby tree. (This close to getting the chainsaw out!) The CYA chart says I should be at 16 FC to shock. Since these leaves are going to be on the surface in between skimmings, should I leave the FC high around 20 ish? Thanks!
    Hmmm...a gallon of 12.5% in a 24K pool should have only raised FC 5 ppm. Could be that your pool is not as big as you think it is. Or the chlorine is especially fresh and is slightly overstrength, but I really doubt it was double strength. More likely it wasn't mixed well or you made a testing error. It's very easy to forget and multiply by the wrong factor when doing the FAS-DPD test. When you add powder and mix it, if you still have an undissolved granule or two before you start adding drops, you have enough.
    Yeah that's what baffles me. Just finished doing some cleaning and went to check on the pool again and its covered in helicpter leaves again....dang....

    Anyway, I did the pool calc volume measurement again and it said 23,000. It's a rectangular 16 x 32 with 4 foot shallow, 8 foot deep.

    The chlorine I get is from a pool store that produces their own liquid chlorine.
    I'm pretty sure I'm doing the test right. I've been using the 10 ml sample and adding two scoops of powder. Then i mix and start counting drops. The first test today was 23 drops. The second after pouring a gallon in was 42 drops.

    I remember my father in law telling me it was a 20000 gallon pool a long time ago. Maybe it's not quite 23000.

    Should I keep the chlorine above shock level since there's always those helicopter leaves in there accumulating?
    Thanks
    PB
    24k, IG, vinyl, tagelus sand filter, 1 hp pump- noob pool owner!

  20. Back To Top    #20
    Richard320's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    San Dimas, CA (LA County)
    Posts
    18,768

    Re: new owner' also a bbb convert!

    No. You might want to target FC a couple points higher, but no need to go all the way to shock. If you're scooping the leaves out regularly, they won't have much effect. Regular daily testing will tell you how much FC you're using every day and soon you'll know how much you need.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •