Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Salt level appears to be rising!!

1. Back To Top    #1

Salt level appears to be rising!!

I'm on month 3 of our new inground gunite pool. I'm probably 5 weeks with the SWG system. When I did my initial fill of salt, I overshot by a couple bags and ended up with 4000ppm in my 23000 gallon pool. After getting some suggestions, I was comfortable leaving my salt level at 4000ppm. I've also verified this level about once a week using the Taylor Salt test kit (not strips) since I did the initial adding of salt.

Today, I noticed that the high salt level light was blinking on my Pentair IC40 SWG unit. (never happened before) Worried, I ran to my test kit and performed a salt test. I'm now getting a salt level of 4800ppm using the taylor kit. Since I switched to the SWG, I've only added about 1 gallon of Liquid 10% Chlorine over a 1 week period, when I was getting a false reading using my Taylor basic OTO kit. I also only add about 32 oz of Muriatic acid about every 2-3 days to keep PH at 7.5.

Any ideas why my salt level is going up?

Right now levels are:

FC 5
    CC .5
    TC 5.5
    CH 280
    CYA 60
    TA 70
    PH 7.5
    Salt Level 4800
    Pool done!! (backyard = work in progress) 32' x 19' inground freeform with 7' spa, baja step w/ (2) bubblers, stonescapes mini pebble finish, rock waterfall feature, 12" raised bond beam, Intelliflo VS, Whisperflo feature pump, (3) 5G Color LED's, FNS + DE 60, 400K Master Temp, Easytouch 8 w/ remote, Intellichlor IC40, Vision Classic Ceramic Kamado smoker, Margaritaville DM1000!!! Party Coming Soon!!
    TF-100 Test Kit w/ Speedstir

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Salt level appears to be rising!!

Do you refill with soft water?
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: Salt level appears to be rising!!

No soft water for the fill... but prior to the adding of salt I tested the salt level, which was 400ppm.
    Pool done!! (backyard = work in progress) 32' x 19' inground freeform with 7' spa, baja step w/ (2) bubblers, stonescapes mini pebble finish, rock waterfall feature, 12" raised bond beam, Intelliflo VS, Whisperflo feature pump, (3) 5G Color LED's, FNS + DE 60, 400K Master Temp, Easytouch 8 w/ remote, Intellichlor IC40, Vision Classic Ceramic Kamado smoker, Margaritaville DM1000!!! Party Coming Soon!!
    TF-100 Test Kit w/ Speedstir