Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Doughboy Sand Filter Problem

1. Back To Top    #1

Doughboy Sand Filter Problem

My wife and I recently bought a home which came with a really nice above ground pool and deck. Never had either one of us owned or maintained a pool before. Our problem seems to be the sand filter. I've noticed when I connect the vacuum brush with the hose through the skimmer everything I'm cleaning off the bottom of the pool is being shot right back into the pool through the return. Is this because of a bad sand filter? Any help is much appreciated. Thanks In Advance!

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Doughboy Sand Filter Problem

Welcome to tfp, jguajardotx

Is the filters valve set to "filter" when you are vacuuming?

I am not very familiar with doughboy filters, but sometimes when a filter is being bypassed by a lot of debris the spider gasket on the multiport valve is leaking and needs replacing.

Other possible causes for excessive bypassing debris are a channeled filter, or a broken lateral.
    TFP Expert who uses Pool School and my TF100 test kit along with PoolMath for my: Round 11K gallon AGP with deep end, 20" sand filter, Matrix 1hp 2spd, 6 2ftX20ft solar panels (and solar cover!), Intex SWCG (copper bars disconnected) and a Rubadub hot tub (chlorine). The SLAM process is not finished until: 1. CC < 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT < 1.0 ppm and, 3. The water is crystal clear.

3. Back To Top    #3

Thank You! I look forward to using the forum and maybe giving some insight one day when I'm a little more seasoned as well. Yes the valve is set to filter when I'm vacuuming. I will admit the handle on the valve assembly looks like it's had better days though. It is really loose and does not lock into position either. I'm wondering if my next move should be replacing the entire assembly and spider gasket?

4. Back To Top    #4

What volume pool do you have? You might consider replacing the whole filter since those doughboy sand filters are very small.
    TFP Expert who uses Pool School and my TF100 test kit along with PoolMath for my: Round 11K gallon AGP with deep end, 20" sand filter, Matrix 1hp 2spd, 6 2ftX20ft solar panels (and solar cover!), Intex SWCG (copper bars disconnected) and a Rubadub hot tub (chlorine). The SLAM process is not finished until: 1. CC < 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT < 1.0 ppm and, 3. The water is crystal clear.

5. Back To Top    #5

The pool holds 8,000 gallons. I think I'm going to give the whole loosening the sand at bottom of the filter method a try before replacing the valve or entire filter. Unfortunately I won't be able to mess with it until next week but I will keep you posted.