Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Lots of questions from Noob about to build a pool

1. Back To Top    #1

Lots of questions from Noob about to build a pool

Sorry in advance for my stupid questions. I'm very close to signing with a builder, I've narrowed it down to two. There are some differences with the two and I'm not sure if they matter much.

This will be an in-ground pool. Something in the 18X41 area. Right now I'm torn between a Lagoon style or L shaped. Any pros or cons I should be aware of?

I want to have a slide, a waterfall and a sun deck as the 2nd step in the entry.

Builder A uses Royal (Imperial) pools, Hayward SWG, Hayward pump, Hayward DE filter, Hayward or Aqua comfort heat pump (he suggests the heat pump), Garret or Imperial liners.

Builder B uses Cardinal Systems pools, Jandy SWG, Pentair Pump, Pentair DE Filter, Raypack heater (he suggests propane), Latham liners.

Prices are very close. Both builders came from personal recommendation/reference.

What are your thoughts on pool shapes? Is there a difference between the equipment used by the two, do their choices say anything about them?
    Owasso, OK ---Pool: 18,000 Fiberglass w/ 2 waterfall features; Salt Generator: Circupool RJ 30; Filter: Hayward Sand (20 GPM/FT2)
    Pool Pump: Hayward Super II 1.5 hp; Water feature Pump: Hayward Super II 1.0 hp; Rheem Heater; Pentair Kreepy Krauly Classic

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Lots of questions from Noob about to build a pool

One note is that Pentair increases the warranty to 3 years if you buy 3 pieces of equipment ... so the 2nd builders equipment seems odd. But Raypak heaters seem to be better than the Pentair. So I would switch to a Pentair SWG.

Are the pumps at least 2 speed?

Posted from my Droid with Tapatalk ... sorry if my response is short
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: Lots of questions from Noob about to build a pool

Not sure if the pumps are 2 speed. I'll have to ask about that.

Great tip on the warranty, thanks!
    Owasso, OK ---Pool: 18,000 Fiberglass w/ 2 waterfall features; Salt Generator: Circupool RJ 30; Filter: Hayward Sand (20 GPM/FT2)
    Pool Pump: Hayward Super II 1.5 hp; Water feature Pump: Hayward Super II 1.0 hp; Rheem Heater; Pentair Kreepy Krauly Classic