First Time Pool Owner, First Opening

May 14, 2013
Syracuse, NY
Hey everyone!

Just purchased my first house which happens to have an in-ground vinyl pool (roughly 16'x32') with a slightly older Jacuzzi pump, Jacuzzi sand filter and a Raypak heater. I have no experiance with pools. Pool was built in 1996, not sure how old the liner is at this time. House was vacant all of last year and from what the neighbors say the pool wasn't opened at all last year. It does have a safety cover on it though and lifting a corner and peeking under it on the shallow end I can see the bottom and the water is actually pretty clear!

I found this site earlier in the week and realized the first thing I needed to do was to get a quality test kit. I ordered the TF-100 which arrived today. I plan on opening the pool this weekend but was curious as to what the test kit would say, here is what I measured:

FC - 0
CC - 0
TA - 20
CH - 90
CYA - 0
PH - 6.8 (probably lower)

Saturday morning I plan on removing the cover and making sure the equipment works (need to replace the pressure guage on the filter already).

Once I get everything up and running from what I understand from my research my first step would be to get the PH in range. I plan on using the BBB method so I would use borax for this step.

Next would be to raise the CYA around the 30 mark using stabilizer or cyanuric acid.

Then follow it up with shocking the pool.

I have a hard time believing some of the test results, particularly the zero chlorine levels just because of how clear the water is at this time but if it wasn't open at all last year I suppose it could be correct?

Is my current thought process with the steps I outlined above correct?

I'll try to remember to get pics this weekend during the opening/shocking process.

Thanks for the help!

:wave: Welcome to TFP!!!

The looks like a very good plan. Thanks for reading Pool School and doing your research :goodjob:

You can start adding chlorine immediately up to 3ppm or so and increase it as the CYA dissolves.
Just get the pH up a bit (with either borax or washing soda/soda ash) before you raise the FC > 10ppm and the pH test become invalid.

Agree. But peek under the deep end of the cover if you want to see what's in there.

Once you remove the cover sun will do it's thing and make stuff grow and fast, so stay on top of it the same day with the bleach.

If after adding the powder of your FAS-DPD test kit it doesn't turn pink at all, you have zero chlorine. Which would make perfect sense because none was added. Adding your location can help as well so we have a general idea of what you're weather is like.

Location updated, I'm in upstate New York.

The test didn't turn pink at all, so no chlorine. I'll start dosing some bleach just to get it introduced before I adjust the PH and after I make sure the equipment is all good, then I'll start shocking.

I assume this is something I may be able to complete over the weekend?

I assume this is something I may be able to complete over the weekend?
Probably.

Nice work on reading up....you're w-a-ay ahead of the game with a good plan.

If you are in a real hurry, you'll need to get liquid CYA so it will enter you pool immediately. Cost almost double but makes it VERY easy to start the shock process.

You'll be done shocking when....

1. Your pool water is sparkling
2. Your CC's are .5ppm or less
3. You can hold your FC overnight without losing more than 1ppm.

Where does everyone get their liquid stabalizer from? I called the local pool stores and they all only sell granular. I see Walmart has it listed online but looks like it's online only, I'll have to stop and check. Worst case I have to use granular. How long should that take before I get an accurate reading?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.