Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Hanging My Head - White Flag Is Up - Vaccuum Question

1. Back To Top    #1

Hanging My Head - White Flag Is Up - Vaccuum Question

My saga continues.........

Tried to get water cleared up. I had no luck. Still looked like a muddy pool. Gave up and drained. I know, I know, not good for my vinyl liner. There is 1 inch of water at the bottom of the pool with dirt and stuff in it. It looks like a water hole where animals love to drink and bathe. Not good conditions. Sand filter has only enough suction to filter water; can't hook vaccuum up to it. I got in the 'waterhole' last night and started with the lovely garden hose variety vaccuum and did get quite a bit of dirt out of it. Now back to what is left of the water/dirt at the bottom. I totally want to clean out the bottom before I refill because if I don't, I will have a cloudy dirt waterhole again.

Now I feel if I don't get rid of all the gunk at the bottom, I won't have a clear pool when I refill it.

Does anyone have any suggestions for rigging the pool vac to be able to vaccuum the gunk and not have it return into the pool (the bag is worthless).

Thanks so much
    7,617 Gal., 18 x 48 INTEX ULTRAFRAME AGP, INTEX SF20110 SAND FILTER

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Hanging My Head - White Flag Is Up - Vaccuum Question

Got a friend with a wet/dry shop vac to use instead of the pool vac? Just be sure not to snag your liner.
    Best of luck to you.
    Our pool has DE all over the bottom, so I understand your pain.
    Alan in Wellington, FL - near West Palm Beach
    15,200 gal IG, painted plaster, 1988; 200 SqFt cartridge filter, 2013; 1.5 HP 1-speed pump (uprated), 2005; heat pump, 2005;
    soon to repair (dead) SWG AquaRite T-15 cell, 2005, and replace (dead) suction-side cleaner, 2005.
    Almost everything died this winter 2012-'13, and I know we shouldn't complain... but, Arrgh!

3. Back To Top    #3

You know what? I kind of thought about that today as a possibility. I think my father-n-law has one. I have never used one, but maybe he will let me borrow it. Thanks again. I appreciate all the help I can get. =)

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by dar-lita
    Gave up and drained. I know, I know, not good for my vinyl liner.
    This is not true for intex style liners. They are made to be drained permanently.
    TFP Expert who uses Pool School and my TF100 test kit along with PoolMath for my: Round 11K gallon AGP with deep end, 20" sand filter, Matrix 1hp 2spd, 6 2ftX20ft solar panels (and solar cover!), Intex SWCG (copper bars disconnected) and a Rubadub hot tub (chlorine). The SLAM process is not finished until: 1. CC < 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT < 1.0 ppm and, 3. The water is crystal clear.

5. Back To Top    #5

Really? That is good to know. I keep hearing about ruining the liner if it gets drained too many times. Phew. I thought I was in trouble. Now if I could just get all the gunk out of the bottom, I could start looking forward to my backyard oasis.

I don't know if I'm going to be able to get my hands on a wet/dry vaccume, but I'm going to try one rigging option I came up with. If it works, I will be sure to share. =)

6. Back To Top    #6

I would just pull off the pump to filter hose and vacuum that way. If you're worried about the crud, spread a sheet or tarp on the lawn and it will catch most of it. If it won't prime, run a garden hose into the end of the pump to filter hose while you hold it in the air. When it fills up, hit the switch and jump out of the way. You need to leave enough water in the pool to actually vacuum.
    Current: 28,000G 18'x36' I/G AnthonySylvan Plaster; Waterway 60 sq.ft. DE Filter; 1.0hp x 1.65 SF Two-Speed (B2982) WhisperFlo; 2004-Present
    Previous: 40,000G 20'x40' I/G Koven unlined WWII salvage 5/8" marine steel; Lomart Stainless Sand Filter; 3/4hp Hayward SuperPump; 1946-2003 (managed by me from about 1964)
    Ancient Taylor K-2000, upgraded with Taylor CH, TA, and FAS-DPD, and TFT CYA tests.