Need Help IDing the proper Float Diverter for my Skimmer...

jdmarano

LifeTime Supporter
May 10, 2013
Suncoast FL
Hi All,

I'm new to pools and new to TFP, but have been reading, learning and using a lot of the great info here! We had our pool serviced by someone for the first year we owned the house (the house was built in 1981...no idea if the pool was original, but it likely was.) It is an in-ground pool (plaster I believe) with a skimmer box, vacuum port, and main drain. The main drain is plumbed to the skimmer box. There are two returns, one going to a spa at the shallow end and the other in the deep end.

The skimmer box does not have a float diverter, and our former pool guy said he nor anyone he asked could ID the brand of the skimmer box and that it wasn't a standard brand like Hayward or Pentair; there are no names or distinguishing markings on the simmer box or lid or basket. So he (pool guy) recommended just leaving the vacuum in the pool anytime we were not using it to keep the bottom of the pool clean. He thought the float diverter was probably removed by a prior homeowner as the main drain cover is an old style (presumably not up-to-code).

Anyway, we would like to replace the float diverter (and drain cover) and I am hoping someone here can help ID the skimmer box, so we can find the right diverter. I've uploaded a pic of the skimmer box. There are two holes, one that is plumbed to the main drain (it is the recessed hole as seen in attached pic) and the other hole goes to our pump. There is a also a "knob" looking thing off to the side and between the holes on the bottom of the skimmer box that can be seen in the pic that doesn't seem to do anything...I've tried pulling and turning it, but it doesn't appear to move.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Attachments

• skimmer.jpg
    skimmer.jpg
    184.7 KB · Views: 81
Re: Need Help IDing the proper Float Diverter for my Skimmer

I took some measurements in hopes someone could help ID the proper float valve for my pool.

The bottom ridge where the float valve would sit measures 7-1/2" across, but there is a tiny 'notch' that runs from the bottom of the ridge up towards the basket that is about 2" tall. This notch is adjacent to the larger / recessed hole in the bottom of the skimmer box, which is the hole for the main drain, and can be seen well in the attached pic.

Are there anymore details (beside brand, since that is not available) that might help ID the proper float valve?

If I find a float valve that fits the space will it work properly, or do they have other 'special features' to them?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.