HELP My pool was green, now it's milky.

May 15, 2013
Texas
Hello,
I have an Intex 32 ft x 16 ft x 52 Ultra Fram Rectangular Pool w/ Sand Filter Pump & Saltwater System (14,364 gallons).
A couple of weeks ago I decided to open my pool. Since it was not maintained through the mild Texas winter it was overrun with green algae. So I went to my local pool store and had my water tested and of course had a list of chemicals to add. Well I did and now my water is milky. I have been vac'ing to waste every evening for over a week now and it's still green.

Water Analysis:
Free Chlorine 0.1
Total Chlorine 0.2
Conbined Chlorine 0.1
PH 7.7
Hardness 170
Alkalinity 66ppm
Cyanuric Acid 15
Copper 0.12
Iron 0
Salt 3100

What should I do???? They want me to add more shock.

Thanks Penny
PS I just got my pool last year so this is my first year to "open my pool". Last year was such a breeze after the initial installation of the pool.

Welcome to TFP! Please take a look into Pool School at the top right of every page. You need to add chlorine and get your CYA up to about 50ppm. Please take special intrest in the Chlorine/CYA Chart, Defeating Algae, BBB and Test Kits. Read everything you can in POOL SCHOOL several times front n back, inside and out!

We highly recommend the TF100 test kit. (link can be found in my signature) :goodjob: You won't defeat the Green Monster without it and aquire a trouble free pool.

Get your POP. It's going to take awhile.

Pool Owner Patience. :-D

Hi Penny,
In your case, some of the stuff you put in the pool worked, sort of. The green turned white because the "shock" product killed some of the algae. However, it was "used up" before it killed ALL the algae. Those buggers that survived multiplied, hence the return of the green monster. In order to correctly clear the pool, you can't just do a onetime application of a product with the word "shock" on the bag. It's a prolonged PROCESS that will clear your pool.

We'd love to help you, but you'll have to do a little reading and get a good test kit first(see the above posts).

So I shocked the heck out of my pool Thursday afternoon. I can see the bottom this morning :). Still waiting on my test kit, hopefully it will arrive today so I can run a test. But I think I am going to have to shock it again before its completly clear. I hope to have it clear and ready to swim by Memorial Day.

Smykowski said:
Please reread the Pool School article on shocking. Based on your post, it sounds like you are talking about a PRODUCT you put in your pool. For us, shocking is a prolonged PROCESS.
Yep.

The shock process is about constantly pummeling the algae. You can't knock it down and let it recover, just to knock it down again. You need to kick it repeatedly while it's down and kill it.

Back to Pool School :whip:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Your getting there, just need to test to confirm wether all the algae is gone for good, if not it will come back.

I swam in my friends cloudy pool once....well it's started out clear but quickly turned cloudy and sudsy....man that was gross, never again.

Have you completed the shock process? See red lines in my sig.

You can ignore the BR side of the OTO (CL) test kit. That is for bromine, and you have a chlorine pool. :wink:

Your #'s look good :) You just need to confirm that the shock process is complete.

It's looking good; it's still not sparkling clear but it's because of the dead algae settled on the bottom. I just bought an aquabot last night (put him in last night and early this morning before work) and I manually sweep to wash when I have time. I think once all of that is completely out it will be clear.
This morning before I left for work I put some clarifier in to help speed the process.

I just looked at my pump manual and all my numbers are good :), the chlorine is above recommended but that's to be expected and will return to normal with time.
I think I may have concurred the "green monster". And the testing is way easier than I expected.
Thank you all for the info and knowledge offered.

This morning before I left for work I put some clarifier in to help speed the process
Perhaps it will, perhaps not. A tenant of what we teach is not to put anything in your pool unless you know the precise outcome. Clarifiers are iffy and can sometimes make matters worse.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.