Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: HELP My pool was green, now it's milky.

1. Back To Top    #1

HELP My pool was green, now it's milky.

Hello,
    I have an Intex 32 ft x 16 ft x 52 Ultra Fram Rectangular Pool w/ Sand Filter Pump & Saltwater System (14,364 gallons).
    A couple of weeks ago I decided to open my pool. Since it was not maintained through the mild Texas winter it was overrun with green algae. So I went to my local pool store and had my water tested and of course had a list of chemicals to add. Well I did and now my water is milky. I have been vac'ing to waste every evening for over a week now and it's still green.

Water Analysis:
    Free Chlorine 0.1
    Total Chlorine 0.2
    Conbined Chlorine 0.1
    PH 7.7
    Hardness 170
    Alkalinity 66ppm
    Cyanuric Acid 15
    Copper 0.12
    Iron 0
    Salt 3100

What should I do???? They want me to add more shock.

Thanks Penny
    PS I just got my pool last year so this is my first year to "open my pool". Last year was such a breeze after the initial installation of the pool.
    Penny
    14,362 gal, AG, Krystal Clear Sand Filter Pump 16", SWG Model CS20110 Flow Rate 2,650 gal/hr, Installed 2012
    Aquabot Pura 4x

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: HELP My pool was green, now it's milky.

Welcome to TFP! Please take a look into Pool School at the top right of every page. You need to add chlorine and get your CYA up to about 50ppm. Please take special intrest in the Chlorine/CYA Chart, Defeating Algae, BBB and Test Kits. Read everything you can in POOL SCHOOL several times front n back, inside and out!

We highly recommend the TF100 test kit. (link can be found in my signature) You won't defeat the Green Monster without it and aquire a trouble free pool.

Get your POP. It's going to take awhile.

Pool Owner Patience.
    I'd bet you my bikini you'll never get TFP water from a pool store!

24' Sharkline Venture De Filter

3. Back To Top    #3

Hi Penny,
    In your case, some of the stuff you put in the pool worked, sort of. The green turned white because the "shock" product killed some of the algae. However, it was "used up" before it killed ALL the algae. Those buggers that survived multiplied, hence the return of the green monster. In order to correctly clear the pool, you can't just do a onetime application of a product with the word "shock" on the bag. It's a prolonged PROCESS that will clear your pool.

We'd love to help you, but you'll have to do a little reading and get a good test kit first(see the above posts).
    33' round, 23,000 gal AG vinyl , 1HP 2spd PowerFlo Matrix downsized with 3/4HP impeller (X2), Hayward S180T 150# sand filter (X2), Hayward H250 NG heater Pool Store year 1 - $850 for 2 months; Pool Store year 2 - $440 for 2 months, TFPC year 1 - $170 for 4 months; TFPC year 2 - $95 for 4.5 months
    The most important article on this site - The ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry

4. Back To Top    #4

I am going to read up on "pool school" and order the TF100.
    Penny
    14,362 gal, AG, Krystal Clear Sand Filter Pump 16", SWG Model CS20110 Flow Rate 2,650 gal/hr, Installed 2012
    Aquabot Pura 4x

5. Back To Top    #5

When my test kit gets here. Do I get my CYA up first before shocking?
    Penny
    Aquabot Pura 4x

6. Back To Top    #6

In the Industry

Do I get my CYA up first before shocking?
    Not all the way. bring it to around 20-30 so your shock target is less.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

7. Back To Top    #7

So I shocked the heck out of my pool Thursday afternoon. I can see the bottom this morning . Still waiting on my test kit, hopefully it will arrive today so I can run a test. But I think I am going to have to shock it again before its completly clear. I hope to have it clear and ready to swim by Memorial Day.
    Penny
    Aquabot Pura 4x

8. Back To Top    #8

Please reread the Pool School article on shocking. Based on your post, it sounds like you are talking about a PRODUCT you put in your pool. For us, shocking is a prolonged PROCESS.
    33' round, 23,000 gal AG vinyl , 1HP 2spd PowerFlo Matrix downsized with 3/4HP impeller (X2), Hayward S180T 150# sand filter (X2), Hayward H250 NG heater Pool Store year 1 - $850 for 2 months; Pool Store year 2 - $440 for 2 months, TFPC year 1 - $170 for 4 months; TFPC year 2 - $95 for 4.5 months
    The most important article on this site - The ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry

9. Back To Top    #9

Quote Originally Posted by Smykowski
    Please reread the Pool School article on shocking. Based on your post, it sounds like you are talking about a PRODUCT you put in your pool. For us, shocking is a prolonged PROCESS.
    Yep.

The shock process is about constantly pummeling the algae. You can't knock it down and let it recover, just to knock it down again. You need to kick it repeatedly while it's down and kill it.

Back to Pool School
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

10. Back To Top    #10

Well, I am using great value bleach from wal mart and since my test kit has not arrived I am stuck using the test strips which I know are not recommeded but I really want to clear it up asap.
    Penny
    Aquabot Pura 4x

11. Back To Top    #11

My pool is clear, finally. I am going to test all my levels this afternoon with my new test kit.
    Penny
    Aquabot Pura 4x

12. Back To Top    #12

Your getting there, just need to test to confirm wether all the algae is gone for good, if not it will come back.

I swam in my friends cloudy pool once....well it's started out clear but quickly turned cloudy and sudsy....man that was gross, never again.
    20' X 54" Sharkline Matrix Resin AGP, 9400 Gallons, Sta-Rite 1 HP Dynamo Pump, 150 lb Pentair Sand Filter, Gorilla Pad,
    Foam Cove, Taylor K-2006 kit, BBB method, 8'X20' Fafco Sunsaver Hard Plumb, DIY Fountain, Margarittaville Fiji

My Build: one-man-one-pool-and-one-deck-agp-pics-t37172.html
    My Build 'To-Do' List for other DIY'ers: my-pool-build-list-t40249.html?hilit=list

13. Back To Top    #13

So I tested my pool with my new kit:
    PH 7.5
    CL 5
    BR 10
    CYA 50
    TA 100
    Cal H 260

FC 6.5
    CC .5
    Total CL 7

Now I have to look and make sure it's all within the limits.
    Penny
    Aquabot Pura 4x

14. Back To Top    #14

In the Industry

Those are excellent numbers.....how does your water look this AM?
    Dave S.

15. Back To Top    #15

Have you completed the shock process? See red lines in my sig.

You can ignore the BR side of the OTO (CL) test kit. That is for bromine, and you have a chlorine pool.

Your #'s look good You just need to confirm that the shock process is complete.
    TFP Moderator TF100 Test Kit TF100 TestKit YouTube Channel PoolMath
    You're done SLAMing when:
    1)You lose 1ppm or less FC overnight, & 2)You have .5ppm CC's or less, & 3)your water is clear.

~ One should not use a sledge hammer to swat a mosquito. ~

If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

16. Back To Top    #16

I think so. It was all so much to take in but I think I have achieved it properly.
    Thanks I will ignore BR.
    Penny
    Aquabot Pura 4x

17. Back To Top    #17

It's looking good; it's still not sparkling clear but it's because of the dead algae settled on the bottom. I just bought an aquabot last night (put him in last night and early this morning before work) and I manually sweep to wash when I have time. I think once all of that is completely out it will be clear.
    This morning before I left for work I put some clarifier in to help speed the process.

I just looked at my pump manual and all my numbers are good , the chlorine is above recommended but that's to be expected and will return to normal with time.
    I think I may have concurred the "green monster". And the testing is way easier than I expected.
    Thank you all for the info and knowledge offered.
    Penny
    Aquabot Pura 4x

18. Back To Top    #18

Correction **Conquered
    Penny
    Aquabot Pura 4x

19. Back To Top    #19

In the Industry

This morning before I left for work I put some clarifier in to help speed the process
    Perhaps it will, perhaps not. A tenant of what we teach is not to put anything in your pool unless you know the precise outcome. Clarifiers are iffy and can sometimes make matters worse.
    Dave S.