Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: solar cover, cut or no cut and flow for best heating

1. Back To Top    #1

solar cover, cut or no cut and flow for best heating

i bought a solar cover this year,clear, 16ml, as my pool was always very cold
    wanted to warm it up a bit if possible (i do not expect the 15* they say it will do)
    the cover will most likely live on the pool cept for occasionally on the weekend when i jump in it to relax with a beer

now i have an irregular shaped fiberglass insert pool
    seeing how it is just myself moving it and putting it on, and taking it off, seems like maybe keeping it rectangular would be easier?

i would imagine that if i cut it i would have better surface area touching the cover which would be better for heating?

also what would be the best way to optimize heating, i don't expect the cover to heat the pool to a balmy temp, but a few degrees would be nice

should i put it to pull mainly on the main drain, then have the vents shoot towards the cover?
    or have it pull mainly from the skimmer and have the vents shoot down more towards the bottom of the pool

and just to double check, bubbles down in the water right?

thank you
    11,000 gal inground fiberglass pool
    Aquarite SWG system

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: solar cover, cut or no cut and flow for best heating

Bubbles down, though it makes little difference. The primary effect is preventing evaporation, so it really doesn't matter.

If the cover is too large for the pool, the wind will catch the edges and pull it off of the pool. I'd think a reel would be mandatory with that heavy a cover.
    TFP Moderator
    20K Gallon 20X36 Vinyl Inground
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter with 1HP Whisperflo Pump. Liquidator C-201 and Solar Heat

3. Back To Top    #3

Dittos, the cover dosn't generate heat, it helps retain heat.

You can cut it in any manner you like so long as it has coverage over the water, I cut mine into 2 overlapping peices so it was easier to take off.
    If your after heat you may want to consider a solar heat set up.
    20' X 54" Sharkline Matrix Resin AGP, 9400 Gallons, Sta-Rite 1 HP Dynamo Pump, 150 lb Pentair Sand Filter, Gorilla Pad,
    Foam Cove, Taylor K-2006 kit, BBB method, 8'X20' Fafco Sunsaver Hard Plumb, DIY Fountain, Margarittaville Fiji

My Build: one-man-one-pool-and-one-deck-agp-pics-t37172.html
    My Build 'To-Do' List for other DIY'ers: my-pool-build-list-t40249.html?hilit=list

4. Back To Top    #4

If you cut your cover into multiple pieces i am curious how you store it when not in use? do you not use a reel anymore?
    16x32 Kidney Hayward Aqua Rite Salt Generator, Omnilogic, Tristar Vari Flo Sand Filter, Colour Logic LED, WFSD Waterfall, 250 BTU Millivolt, GVA-24 Valve Actuator TF-100 Test Kit
    Pool 1
    Pool 2
    my build

5. Back To Top    #5

I switched to a reel this year, but before, I cut my cover in thirds and folded the cover and set it aside while swimming. When it was time for storage, I removed one section at a time, cleaned it and let it dry, then folded it up and stored it in the garage. I use my cover from early March to the end of May, and then again in late September through November to get an extended swim season.
    16k gal plaster with raised spa, Jandy DEV60 filter, 2 HP 2-speed SHPF Jandy Stealth pump
    Hayward Aqua Rite T-15 SWCG, Jandy LXi 400k BTU NG heater, 350 sq.ft. of Sun Star solar panels, TF-100 Test Kit, Dolphin s300i Cleaner
    Test Kits . Pool Math . Chlorine/CYA Chart . The SLAM Process

6. Back To Top    #6

I just cut mine this season, I ended up cutting about 8" out of the center after cutting it in half since it was slightly too big and the overlap of 8" kept getting blown up by the wind. I'm using twine to connect the two halves, in 4 spots, bow tie it to easily undo when I'm rolling them up and taking it off.

I'm planning to find some plastic washers and gorilla glue them to the cover so the holes won't stretch too much, but if the wind isn't getting under it, stretching might not be an issue. I also push the edges down to get some water sitting on top to help hold it down. Which of course will be gone after a day of sun.

This was done entirely to make handling easier, as for retaining heat -- the best way to go is doing whatever you can to keep your water covered as much as possible. Before I cut it the wind would bunch it up quite often.
    Aaron
    [ Vogue Vectra 24' AG | Hard plumb: Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 1HP 2-speed, 27" sand filter & Pentair MiniMax 100 NG | Taylor K-2006 | Central IL ]