Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Bubbles/Soapy/Suds floating on top of water

1. Back To Top    #1

Bubbles/Soapy/Suds floating on top of water

I am just now opening my pool from a dark green swamp by following the directions from this forum. I'm on day 4, pump has been running 24/7 and I've been keeping the pool up to shock level as much as possible. Any clue on where these bubbles are coming from? They do seem to be blowing out the returns...

Today's test: (I added bleach and muriatic acid after yesterday's test)
    FC 13.5
    CC 1.5
    TC 15
    pH 7.6
    T/A 130
    CH didnt test
    CYA 75

Yesterday's test:
    FC 6
    CC 1
    TC 7
    pH 8.2
    T/A 130
    CH 70
    CYA 80

My Pool:
    26,000 Gallon, In-ground, Vinyl lined, Sand Filter, BBB Method, TF-100, SpeedStir

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Bubbles/Soapy/Suds floating on top of water

Welcome to TFP!
    Did you use any algaecide? That can cause foaming...but even if you didn't, a swamp cleanup often does funny things all by itself. Keep at it!
    11,200 gal, Pebble-Tec; Tristar 2-speed 1hp - Swimclear 325 ft2 cart - SWG - A & A in-floor cleaner - Heat pump. For the poolside cooking, a Yoder Wichita and a Big Steel Keg!
    TF Test Kits -- PoolMath -- Pool School
    Make each day your masterpiece. - John Wooden

3. Back To Top    #3

Ok, I did not use algaecide...only liquid unscented bleach. Thanks, I'll keep at it! So I should bring it up to shock level again right now, correct?
    My Pool:
    26,000 Gallon, In-ground, Vinyl lined, Sand Filter, BBB Method, TF-100, SpeedStir

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by dkellerd
    Ok, I did not use algaecide...only liquid unscented bleach. Thanks, I'll keep at it! So I should bring it up to shock level again right now, correct?
    Yes. The more diligent you are about maintaining FC, the faster it clears.

I've seen pictures with foam here before, not a cause to worry.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

5. Back To Top    #5

Welcome to TFP!!!

Looks like you are making pretty good progress. Your FC looks a little low for the shock process ... if you CYA is up near 80ppm (which could warrant replacing 1/3 of the water in itself) then the shock FC level you should be maintaining is 30 ppm:
    pool-school/chlorine_cya_chart_shock

Yes, keep raising it up to shock level every hour if you can.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

6. Back To Top    #6

Great news! Thanks alot! I've spent alot of time reading this forum over the past year...really appreciate the help!

Heading out to go dump some more bleach now...cheers!

And my CYA was over 110 end of last year...I'm just happy to see it's at 75 now. I figure I'll do the initial vacuuming to waste, then refilling the pool may bring the CYA down into proper levels...
    My Pool: