Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: test kit question

1. Back To Top    #1

test kit question

I purchased a Taylor K-1004 residential troubleshooting test kit 2 years ago and have been using it since. It only tests for chlorine (FC, CC, TC) up to a level of 5 ppm, Ph level, and alkilinity. I purchased new bottles of reagents about a week ago before finding this site. My question is this: Can I supplement this kit for testing CYA, calcium hardness (vinyl above ground pool so not sure if CH test is necessary), and FC above 5 ppm (for things like shocking the pool) or am I better off just buying a new test kit that has all of these tests? If it is recommended that I get a new kit, is the TF-100 or the Taylor K-2006 the way to go?
    Thanks.
    5500 gal. Plastimayd & Vynall AG (12' x 18' oval), Hayward Swimpro Voyager Cartridge filter & pump, Hayward H150 heater
    TF 100 Test Kit, converted to BBB in 2013

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: test kit question

Welcome to tfp, pakrh8r

I LOVE your username (viking fan here)

By the time you add the cya and the FAS-DPD test, you might as well buy the whole kit. I would choose (and did) the tf-100 it gives you the most reagents for the dollar.
    TFP Expert who uses Pool School and my TF100 test kit along with PoolMath for my: Round 11K gallon AGP with deep end, 20" sand filter, Matrix 1hp 2spd, 6 2ftX20ft solar panels (and solar cover!), Intex SWCG (copper bars disconnected) and a Rubadub hot tub (chlorine). The SLAM process is not finished until: 1. CC < 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT < 1.0 ppm and, 3. The water is crystal clear.

3. Back To Top    #3

The kit you have has the DPD chlorine test which will bleach out at high FC levels. The key to the good test kits is the FAS-DPD chlorine test that you can buy separately. But, you will also need the CYA test. You could likely get by without the CH test (or trust a pool store for that number).

Either the K-2006 or the TF-100 will duplicate your pH and TA tests. The TF-100 would also add the OTO chlorine test which is sometimes good for confirming whether or not you have chlorine in the pool.

The TF-100 comes with more of the FAS-DPD and CYA test regents that you need, while you will run out sooner if you got the K-2006. See:
    pool-school/pool_test_kit_comparison

If you want to price out the separate tests, check out tftestkits.net, but then you are getting close to the price or a whole kit.

Actually, the TF-50 would work and be a little cheaper since you have the pH test already:
    http://tftestkits.net/TF-50-Test-Kit-p55.html
    EDIT: Well, I see that the TF-50 comes with less of the FAS-DPD and CYA reagent as well, so that takes away some of the advantage over the K-2006 ...
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

4. Back To Top    #4

Thank you both for the quick responses. I didn't want to purchase duplicates but it does seem that separately they would be almost as much as a combined kit. If I didn't use all of the duplicate reagents I'd still have to dispose of them and buy new ones next year, correct? Would that also apply to the other chemicals that are not labeled reagents? Does the OTO only give total chlorine and the fas-dpd give the free and combined? The OTO video and description look very much like the chlorine test from the Taylor kit I already have, which supposedly gives me all 3 of those results. Is the fas-dpd more accurate? Also, what do you mean when you say the FC test will bleach out? Thanks.
    5500 gal. Plastimayd & Vynall AG (12' x 18' oval), Hayward Swimpro Voyager Cartridge filter & pump, Hayward H150 heater

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by pakrh8r
    If I didn't use all of the duplicate reagents I'd still have to dispose of them and buy new ones next year, correct?
    If you keep the reagents at room temp year round, then you should be able to get a couple years shelf life, though Taylor won't guarantee it. When purchasing from tftestkits.net, they guarantee the reagents for 18 months.

Does the OTO only give total chlorine and the fas-dpd give the free and combined?
    OTO gives total chlorine (TC) but is really only accurate up to 5 ppm. The fas-dpd measures FC and CC and is accurate up to 50 ppm FC. The dpd test (that is in your kit and not to be confused with the fas-dpd test) is accurate up to 10 ppm and measures FC and TC.

Is the fas-dpd more accurate?
    It reads higher and is less prone to error than the DPD. The higher readings are important when doing a shocking process to kill algae.

Also, what do you mean when you say the FC test will bleach out?
    DPD test is not accurate above 10 ppm.
    TFP Expert who uses Pool School and my TF100 test kit along with PoolMath for my: Round 11K gallon AGP with deep end, 20" sand filter, Matrix 1hp 2spd, 6 2ftX20ft solar panels (and solar cover!), Intex SWCG (copper bars disconnected) and a Rubadub hot tub (chlorine). The SLAM process is not finished until: 1. CC < 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT < 1.0 ppm and, 3. The water is crystal clear.

6. Back To Top    #6

Thank you. I think I'l purchase the TF-100 kit and just be done with it. I'll feel more confidant that I'l have the tools I need to keep my pool in great shape this summer. Thanks fro all of the help!!