Fixing last years mistake!

May 17, 2009
NC
new-liner-install-gone-wrong-vermiculite-bottom-collapsed-t49675.html

The link above discusses the mistake made last year when I needed a new liner. My local pool store failed to show up several times to provide an estimate for a liner replacement last year, so I went shopping on the internet for a company. After talking to several companies last year, we (my wife and I) ended up hiring Cascade pools in Chesapeake VA to do the liner replacement. Between the fancy website and the owners claims, It seemed like a professional company. The guy that Cascade pool's contracted to do the liner replacement, made mistakes, and he was rude. I found out that Cascade Pools simply contracts others to do various jobs. It is my understanding he is a one man show, it's not like he has crews or employees.

That's the past, and now I have some progress to report concerning the repairs my pool has received in the last couple weeks. After locating someone with decades of pool experience, we started by connecting a pump to the old well points. First we connected to the one Gus used last year, and it pumped water and a pile of sand nearly immediately, then we connected to the one on the other side of the deep end, and it didn't move any water. There is a third well point adjacent to the diving board, but due to the distance it runs under the concrete, we elected to not even try it. We washed-in a couple of new well points, one on each side of the deep end, and they moved plenty of water, but no sand. At this point we drained the pool with the understanding that more well points might be required, but we would not know until the pool was drained. Once the pool was drained and the liner rolled back into the shallow end, we could see the collapsed vermiculite surface, from last year. Oh, I almost forgot, I found Gus's screwdriver, the one he left under my new liner, in the deep end.

Another picture of the new liner from last may, and this was the last time I ever saw Gus, because he never returned to my house as far as I know. He left his tools and mess all over my yard, and I had to clean it up. Several days later one of his crew came by to pickup the tools.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
harleysilo said:
So could you like see the outline of the screwdriver, or was it embedded into the creete?

The screwdriver outline could be seen, protruding above the bottom, it actually caused a small hole where it was stretched around the handle. We would have rehung the liner today, but the pool guy forgot his glue, actually he drove his wife's car instead of his truck. We needed the glue to install a patch on the underside of the liner where the screwdriver was. The plan is to hang the liner tomorrow.

I put half down for the liner job, and then after I found the bottom collapsed I asked what he was going to do about it, at that point he refused to take any ownership for that damage. He blamed it on ground water. It wasn't until I found the screwdriver until he showed any concern. I asked for my money back, or otherwise we could go to court and let a judge make the decision. He brought my check over the next day.

Here I am a year letter, with a do-over. This time I have someone who knows how to work on a pool. But I am paying for it.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.