The link above discusses the mistake made last year when I needed a new liner. My local pool store failed to show up several times to provide an estimate for a liner replacement last year, so I went shopping on the internet for a company. After talking to several companies last year, we (my wife and I) ended up hiring Cascade pools in Chesapeake VA to do the liner replacement. Between the fancy website and the owners claims, It seemed like a professional company. The guy that Cascade pool's contracted to do the liner replacement, made mistakes, and he was rude. I found out that Cascade Pools simply contracts others to do various jobs. It is my understanding he is a one man show, it's not like he has crews or employees.
That's the past, and now I have some progress to report concerning the repairs my pool has received in the last couple weeks. After locating someone with decades of pool experience, we started by connecting a pump to the old well points. First we connected to the one Gus used last year, and it pumped water and a pile of sand nearly immediately, then we connected to the one on the other side of the deep end, and it didn't move any water. There is a third well point adjacent to the diving board, but due to the distance it runs under the concrete, we elected to not even try it. We washed-in a couple of new well points, one on each side of the deep end, and they moved plenty of water, but no sand. At this point we drained the pool with the understanding that more well points might be required, but we would not know until the pool was drained. Once the pool was drained and the liner rolled back into the shallow end, we could see the collapsed vermiculite surface, from last year. Oh, I almost forgot, I found Gus's screwdriver, the one he left under my new liner, in the deep end.