Soon to be pool owner, hard water question.

Dustin

May 15, 2013
Thank you for all the great info in this board. I'm in central tx and about to buy an above ground 12x24x52" intex pool. Water level at 48" this will be 8600 gallons. I'm on well water and the last time I checked, the tds was about 450. My question is would it be wise to fill the pool half with the hard well water and half from my water softener to bring the hardness down to an acceptable level to prevent scailing? Does it even work this way?

I will update my profile/signature once I get further along.

Thank you,
Dustin

You could, but that's usually beyond the capacity of a home water softener so you'd require a lot of regen cycles. TDS isn't limited to calcium, so you'd do well to have a calcium hardness and total alkalinity test as well as testing for metals before you fill so you know where you stand.

Welcome to the forum. :lol:

Dustin, tds is irrelevant to pools and that's very low anyway.

The important considerations of well water is iron (THIS IS A BIGGIE AND WILL BE A HASSLE FOR YOU IF YOU HAVE IRON GREATER THAN .3 ppm).

Then, Calcium Hardness and Total Alkalinity are important but can be easier managed.

Can you post those numbers?

This water softener is a smaller unit from a car wash and I have it set to recycle at 1800 gallons so it wouldn't be terribly bad only about 2-3 recycles. But, yes I will test the well water before I fill.

Dustin said:
Yes I will post numbers when I begin this project. And I will be able to test for metals with the tf-100 kit?

No, metals are specialized test kits. Some pool stores can test for them.

Just filled our brand new pool with well water as well, but I didn't think about the metals in the water ahead of time and the water turned green after adding liquid chlorine (bleach). If I could do it over, I would go ahead and add the sequestrant before the other chemicals. I used Aqua Chem Scale, Metal and Stain Control, three bottles- after mine turned green and ran the pump continuously and it cleared up within 24 hrs. I'm not sure what the long term problems are gonna be becuase of the well water, but this has been my experience so far. Good Luck.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.