Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Soon to be pool owner, hard water question.

1. Back To Top    #1

Soon to be pool owner, hard water question.

Thank you for all the great info in this board. I'm in central tx and about to buy an above ground 12x24x52" intex pool. Water level at 48" this will be 8600 gallons. I'm on well water and the last time I checked, the tds was about 450. My question is would it be wise to fill the pool half with the hard well water and half from my water softener to bring the hardness down to an acceptable level to prevent scailing? Does it even work this way?

I will update my profile/signature once I get further along.

Thank you,
    Dustin
    Intex 12'x24'x52" vinyl 8400 gallons
    1600 GPH sand filter
    Krystal clear SWG
    Well Water
    Central Texas

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Soon to be pool owner, hard water question.

You could, but that's usually beyond the capacity of a home water softener so you'd require a lot of regen cycles. TDS isn't limited to calcium, so you'd do well to have a calcium hardness and total alkalinity test as well as testing for metals before you fill so you know where you stand.
    TFP Moderator
    20K Gallon 20X36 Vinyl Inground
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter with 1HP Whisperflo Pump. Liquidator C-201 and Solar Heat

3. Back To Top    #3

In the Industry

Welcome to the forum.

Dustin, tds is irrelevant to pools and that's very low anyway.

The important considerations of well water is iron (THIS IS A BIGGIE AND WILL BE A HASSLE FOR YOU IF YOU HAVE IRON GREATER THAN .3 ppm).

Then, Calcium Hardness and Total Alkalinity are important but can be easier managed.

Can you post those numbers?
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

4. Back To Top    #4

This water softener is a smaller unit from a car wash and I have it set to recycle at 1800 gallons so it wouldn't be terribly bad only about 2-3 recycles. But, yes I will test the well water before I fill.
    1600 GPH sand filter
    Krystal clear SWG
    Well Water
    Central Texas

5. Back To Top    #5

Yes I will post numbers when I begin this project. And I will be able to test for metals with the tf-100 kit?
    1600 GPH sand filter
    Krystal clear SWG
    Well Water
    Central Texas

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by Dustin
    Yes I will post numbers when I begin this project. And I will be able to test for metals with the tf-100 kit?
    No, metals are specialized test kits. Some pool stores can test for them.
    TFP Moderator
    20K Gallon 20X36 Vinyl Inground
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter with 1HP Whisperflo Pump. Liquidator C-201 and Solar Heat

7. Back To Top    #7

Does anyone in your area do bulk water purchases for pools? (Fire dept, local water utility, road construction companies, etc)
    20' X 54" Sharkline Matrix Resin AGP, 9400 Gallons, Sta-Rite 1 HP Dynamo Pump, 150 lb Pentair Sand Filter, Gorilla Pad,
    Foam Cove, Taylor K-2006 kit, BBB method, 8'X20' Fafco Sunsaver Hard Plumb, DIY Fountain, Margarittaville Fiji

My Build: one-man-one-pool-and-one-deck-agp-pics-t37172.html
    My Build 'To-Do' List for other DIY'ers: my-pool-build-list-t40249.html?hilit=list

8. Back To Top    #8

I don't know, I'm in a very small town(<500) with nearby small towns(3000) and I think even they are on well water.
    1600 GPH sand filter
    Krystal clear SWG
    Well Water
    Central Texas

9. Back To Top    #9

Just filled our brand new pool with well water as well, but I didn't think about the metals in the water ahead of time and the water turned green after adding liquid chlorine (bleach). If I could do it over, I would go ahead and add the sequestrant before the other chemicals. I used Aqua Chem Scale, Metal and Stain Control, three bottles- after mine turned green and ran the pump continuously and it cleared up within 24 hrs. I'm not sure what the long term problems are gonna be becuase of the well water, but this has been my experience so far. Good Luck.
    27' x 54" AG with Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 1 HP 2-speed pump and 21" sand filter
    South Georgia